Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error Code - 36 question

Hi,

Purchased new iMac this weekend. I am trying to copy a folder with 4.1 gigs of files from one external drive - Rocstor 1.5 TB Mac OS Extended (Journaled) to another drive -Rocstor 320 GB Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and keep getting the Error Code - 36.

I have been reading in these forums about this error and have tried the dot_clean solution, but to no avail. The strange thing is that I can copy this folder to other drives, both another Rocstor drive as as well as an Iomega drive, and I can copy it to my desktop, but it will not copy to the Rocstor drive I want.

My question is this...is the Error Code 36 issue pertaining to the source drive and files or the destination drive?

Thanks, David

iMac 27 inch, Mac OS X (10.6.2), 17 Processor; 8 gigs RAM

Posted on Mar 15, 2010 2:09 PM

4 replies

Mar 15, 2010 7:15 PM in response to DaddyPaycheck

Not really sure what information you want, but using Disc Utility I selected various drives and looked under the Partition Tab.

For my Source Drive, the Partition Mao Scheme is Apple Partition Map,
for the destination drive it is Master Boot Record
my Macintosh HD is GUID Partition Table.

Before moving to the new MAC and Snow Leopard, I had no issues moving files back and forth among these drives.

Mar 16, 2010 3:33 PM in response to davidw

davidw wrote:
. . .
For my Source Drive, the Partition Mao Scheme is Apple Partition Map,
for the destination drive it is Master Boot Record

There do seem to be problems copying to MBR drives in Snow Leopard. Not terribly surprising, as that's a Windoze thing.

Does that drive have to be MBR? If not, reformat it with the GUID Partition Map Scheme, and your problems will almost certainly stop.

Error Code - 36 question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.