Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

User profile application errors

I am having some problems with my user profile. I have tried repairing the disk and disk permissions from the 10.6 DVD, but still continue to have issues. My user account has random errors when trying to user certain applications. For example Onyx gives me constant errors and won't let me do anything and Boxee crashes before it will even open. If I create a new user both of these applications work fine. This computer was upgraded from 10.5 to 10.6. Is there anything I can check/do aside from rebuild my profile? I can Time Machine everything and rebuild a new profile manually from that, but would prefer to fix this one if possible. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tim

Unibody Macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Mar 15, 2010 2:27 PM

2 replies

Mar 15, 2010 2:34 PM in response to linedpaper

No profiles here (that's a windoze thingy), they're accounts on a Mac. What issues using Disk Utility from the DVD? BTW, permission repair should be done from the boot volume, not install disc. What kind of Onyx errors? Why are you using it? If apps work in one account and not another, that usually indicates a conflict or corruption, usually amongst or in preference (plist) files. You don't rebuild accounts in OS X, you fix problems. More details and maybe we can offer some advice.

Since you're apparently a recent windoze convert, once your current issues are sorted out, see:

Switching from Windows to Mac OS X,
Basic Tutorials on using a Mac,
Mac 101: Mac Essentials,
Anatomy of a Mac,
MacTips, and
Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Snow Leopard Edition.

Additionally, *Texas Mac Man* recommends:

Quick Assist.
Welcome to the Switch To A Mac Guides,
Take Control E-books, and
A guide for switching to a Mac.

User profile application errors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.