Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem syncing iPhone with new computer without losing data

hey there,
any help would very much appreciated!
my computer crashed - so i had to restore the whole thing...gutted! i have just installed itunes again and reinstalled my library from a backup harddrive - just the music files nothing else.
i have loads of apps on my iphone that i want to keep (plus tom tom is **** expensive!) but when i plug my phone in to itunes is asks if i want to restore it...but i want to trasfer the apps and my settings and back it up to the new itunes library. is there anyway of doing this? most of the posts i have read say to copy a backup file prior to resetting your computer..but i didnt have the opportunity to do this.
Thanks
AJ

iPhone OS 3.1.3

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2010 1:35 PM

Hi AJ,

You can Transfer the apps from the iPhone to the computer by Authorizing the computer and clicking File> Transfer Purchases in iTunes, as shown here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1848.

You can also redownload purchased apps for free, as mentioned here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2519.

-Jason
3 replies

Dec 9, 2010 1:36 PM in response to adamjago

All apps should be in your iTunes library - stored in the iTunes named folder where all other iTunes content is stored. 3rd party apps are stored in a Mobile Applications named folder located at the first level within in the iTunes folder. You can transfer the Mobile Applications folder from your backup placing it in the new iTunes folder with iTunes quit when doing so.

If you don't want to do this, iTunes includes an option to transfer iTunes content that was purchased/downloaded from the iTunes store from an iPod or iPhone, but this is for iTunes content that was purchased/downloaded from the iTunes store only.

First you need to re-authorize your computer with your iTunes account with iTunes. With your iPhone connected to iTunes and without syncing, at the iTunes menu bar go to File and select Transfer Purchases From - the name of your iPhone.

Next and without syncing, right-click on your iPhone in the iTunes source list and at the menu window that appears, select Back Up.

If you transfer the iTunes named folder from your backup to the same location on your restored computer's hard drive with iTunes quit when doing so, your iPhone should not be erased of all iTunes content with the first sync.

Problem syncing iPhone with new computer without losing data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.