Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to access /Volumes in Terminal?

Still-moist Mac newbie, though I once used Unix ages ago. I have an EVDO modem, my only option for internet connection where I live. It's supposed to work with Mac. Has instructions which I'm trying to follow but stymied on first step after mounting the volume:

"Open the terminal window and type *cd /Volumes/CNU680/Mac*

Doesn't work, which I understand since I'm in my home directory and there's no /Volumes in there anywhere. Using Finder I can't figure out where /Volumes even is.

My command prompt is like this:
+My-MacBook-Pro:Mac myusername$+

If I try *cd ..* to get out of my home directory, I get the same prompt back again. I tried using Finder to see if there was an Open in Terminal option on the volume but there's not.

So here I am posting from this stinking slow crawling Windows XP machine 'cause I can't get my new Mac online. Somebody heeellllpp me. Please?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 11:39 AM

Hi,

You say in your first post:

My-MacBook-Pro:Mac myusername$

That's exactly what you would expect to see after successfully running:

cd /Volumes/CNU680/Mac

The prompt only shows the last directory on the current working directory's path, not the whole path.

Enter the cd command and then type:

pwd

That should tell you the full working directory path.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2010 11:39 AM in response to rubanjoguy

Hi,

You say in your first post:

My-MacBook-Pro:Mac myusername$

That's exactly what you would expect to see after successfully running:

cd /Volumes/CNU680/Mac

The prompt only shows the last directory on the current working directory's path, not the whole path.

Enter the cd command and then type:

pwd

That should tell you the full working directory path.

Mar 16, 2010 10:19 AM in response to rubanjoguy

Type cd into the Terminal followed by a space, locate the Mac folder in the Finder from the mounted volume, and drag that into the Terminal window. Any folder you can see in the Finder other than the Trash icon in the Dock can be navigated to in the Terminal; ones you don't have read access to require sudo.

(50812)

Mar 16, 2010 10:22 AM in response to rubanjoguy

/Volumes is at the root level, not in your home directory. Are you sure you're typing the command exactly as it's written? You can go one level at a time to be sure you're in the right place.

cd /Volumes (should take you to the Volumes directory at the root level)
If you type
cd Volumes (it will look for a Volumes directory relative to your current directory)

So type
cd /Volumes (if your Mac booted, this directory is definitely present!)
cd CNU680 (no leading /. If you get an error message, then this directory is not present)
cd Mac

Those three commands above are the equivalent to cd /Volumes/CNU680/Mac

You can also type
ls /Volumes
to see what directories are located there.

Mar 16, 2010 11:12 AM in response to etresoft

You're absolutely right it's real unusual. The manufacturer is some Asian company called C-motech. The device info page is here: http://www.cmotech.com/korean/products/pro_05.html - I couldn't find the company on Google when I got the thing for my XP machine a year ago. The ISP who provided it said it works with Mac, but I don't see Mac listed in the mfgr. system requirements.

The installation instructions seem more like for Linux. You have to go into the Mac directory in Terminal, then run *sudo sh SwitchDriver.sh* (the script is in the Mac dir). I wonder if the ISP wrote that script to get the thing to work on Mac? In Russia, anything's possible!

So far none of the other tips posted work for me, including dragging the folder to Terminal. I just get the same command prompt again, no error message, nothing.

I was hoping not to have to contact the ISP's support because it's pretty dismal, but maybe I'll haul my machine in to their office tomorrow and tell them since they said it works on Mac when they sold it, now prove it.

Mar 16, 2010 11:57 AM in response to rubanjoguy

rubanjoguy wrote:
You're absolutely right it's real unusual. The manufacturer is some Asian company called C-motech.

In telecommunication devices, all companies are Asian.

The device info page is here: http://www.cmotech.com/korean/products/pro_05.html - I couldn't find the company on Google when I got the thing for my XP machine a year ago. The ISP who provided it said it works with Mac, but I don't see Mac listed in the mfgr. system requirements.

The installation instructions seem more like for Linux. You have to go into the Mac directory in Terminal, then run *sudo sh SwitchDriver.sh* (the script is in the Mac dir). I wonder if the ISP wrote that script to get the thing to work on Mac? In Russia, anything's possible!

Yes, I've seen a few "only in Russia" sites 🙂

You might have to swallow your pride and go to the Latvians: http://www.triatel.lv/en/nodes/view/605

How to access /Volumes in Terminal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.