Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to choose my own email notification sound in Mac OS X Mail.

Why do we not have an option to choose the sound for email notification.
A much louder sound and visual notification some what like a text message.
Would be great. Are they ever planning on something like this? Is there a way
of getting this like texts?

Thanks

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2), 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3, 150 GB

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 11:03 AM

3 replies

Feb 1, 2011 12:32 PM in response to Lewisb1

You do have an option:

You can easily record your own sound (use the built in microphone or record something else - either way, save it as an .aiff file at whatever sound level you prefer.

Next, go to Users -> Library -> Sounds and drag that .aiff file into that folder.

When you next open Mail, you will find your recorded sound in the list - choose it and you'll have your own custom notification..

Feb 1, 2011 12:32 PM in response to Lewisb1

In Snow Leopard (haven't back to check Leopard again) you have two places to check what has been selected. First, in Mail Preferences/General what is selected regarding the New Message Sound? Secondly, in System Preferences/Sound/Sound Effects you also need to make the desired selection, and confirm the Alert Volume setting. It is the settings in System Preferences that I cannot remember whether they were the same in Leopard.

Ernie

I want to choose my own email notification sound in Mac OS X Mail.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.