Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Send Output to Headphones

Hi,

I'm trying to get my sound to output to headphones I have plugged into the headphone jack on the front of my Mac. When going to the Sound panel the choices shown are Internal Speakers, Line Out, and Digital Out. When I choose Internal Speakers, it plays from the speakers but not the headphones. I looked under Help and it says to select "Headphones" - but I do not see a Headphones option to pick. What am I missing?!

Mac Pro 8-Core Desktop, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 10:58 AM

3 replies

Mar 17, 2010 9:44 AM in response to Stephen.Smith

Thanks so much for the response, Stephen... However, I have done this already and it does NOT change from "Internal" to "Headphones" like it used to. I recently upgraded to Snow Leopard - and I've seen a LOT of similar posts like mine so it seems it's definitely an issue - just haven't found anyone saying how to FIX it yet 😟

As far as bad headphones - I tried a few different ones and same thing happened. Weirdly, when I plug headphones in, it seems the computer IS "recognizing" them because iTunes will automatically open and start playing! Also, I have external speakers and have tried these headphones plugged into those speakers' output and they work fine. I just really want to get the headphone jack on the Mac itself working again...

Mar 29, 2010 10:53 AM in response to Jacki

Update...

After spending 30 minutes on the phone with Apple (who was about to charge me $50) - they told me it was a hardware issue and to take it in for repair...

After that, I'd been searching on these discussion forums for days - and finally found someone post something SO simple that I could've kicked myself! But evidently I'm not the ONLY one who did this same thing - it should almost be a FAQ or something! Someone mentioned that you had to plug the headphone in all the way till you heard a CLICK. That was the problem the whole time! I was plugging it in, but just till it "stopped" and didn't realize you had to really SHOVE it in there to make it connect...! So anyway - all is well. I wish I could get back to that same Apple rep to tell them what the problem was, but then I do feel kinda stupid about it all now...!

How to Send Output to Headphones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.