Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

3 jobs at a time

1096 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2010 10:17 AM by Tesserax RSS
Badrakumar Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 17, 2010 4:12 PM
I know airport express can receive play music from iTunes, transmit internet and connect to printer. Can it do all three jobs at the same time?
Mac Mini (Tiger), Macbook (Leapord), AXn, Virgin internet by Netgear, Mac OS X (10.4.8), Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Mac mini connected to 32" HDTV
  • Tesserax Level 8 Level 8 (47,545 points)
    Mar 17, 2010 4:15 PM (in response to Badrakumar)
    I know airport express can receive play music from iTunes, transmit internet and connect to printer. Can it do all three jobs at the same time?

In theory, yes. However, the AirPort Express (like any router) has a limited bandwidth. Performing all three, simultaneously, may cause data transfer loss which could affect any of the three operations.
     Mac Mini 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM 320 GB HD, Mac OS X (10.6.2),  MacBook 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM 160 GB HD  PowerMac 1.2 GHz G4 1.5 GB RAM
  • Tesserax Level 8 Level 8 (47,545 points)
    Mar 19, 2010 10:17 AM (in response to Badrakumar)
    Does that mean it cannot multi task?

No, you should be able to operate either multiple devices or multiple network applications at the same time when connected to the AirPort. The AirPort Express can accommodate up to 10 wireless clients at a time.

How is the band width distributed?

Unlike some other manufactures' routers, the AirPorts do not employ any means to configure for Quality of Service (QoS). As such, I believe bandwidth is distributed as best as possible until the maximum available (for the radio mode) is reached.
     Mac Mini 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM 320 GB HD, Mac OS X (10.6.2),  MacBook 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM 160 GB HD  PowerMac 1.2 GHz G4 1.5 GB RAM

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.