Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't insert video transitions between some segments - FCE 4.0.1

I'm only a casual user, so this is likely due to my lack of knowledge, but I can't find the answer. I have series of video/audio segments in my timeline, and I can't insert any of the video transitions between certain clips. If I slide down the timeline to the next break between video segments, it inserts fine. Moving down the timeline, some breaks allow the insertion, some don't. I can't find a pattern which explains this behavior.

If I slide the 2nd segment slightly to the right creating a gap between the segments, I can insert a transition on either side of the gap. Only when the segments are completely contiguous am I unable to insert.

Video generators, such as text, insert anywhere just fine. I have a second sequence in this project in which I had no problems inserting transitions at any location. Any ideas why FCE is unable to insert these transitions?

MacBook 13" (unibody), Mac OS X (10.6.2), iPhone 3GS

Posted on Mar 18, 2010 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2010 9:20 AM

Clips need "handles" in order to use transitions. see this article for an explanation:-

http://www.fcpbook.com/Effects1.html

Put in layman's terms, you need to cut at least half a second off the ends of the clips where the transition goes. Whole, uncut clips won't work.
2 replies

can't insert video transitions between some segments - FCE 4.0.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.