Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MC133J - iPhone 3GS

I own an iPhone 3GS Model MC133J (purchased in Japan).
The OS is version 3.1.3 (7E18), and the modem firmware is at 05.12.01.
After moving to the USA, I concluded and settled the service plan with exclusive carrier Softbank.
As a result, the phone receives "No Service."

During my attempt to purchase phone service, the staff at the local AT&T store identified that my phone is locked to the carrier, and referred me to both Softbank and the local Apple store.
According to the Apple.com forums, Softbank does not offer an official unlock.
The Genius Bar had no solution, denying a phone exchange because "the SKU of an Apple Japan phone would be incompatible with the SKU of an Apple USA phone."

Question 1: Web forums indicate that the 3G network in Japan runs on W-CDMA, while the AT&T 3G network in the USA runs on EDGE. Is the iPhone 3GS hardware around the world not identical? That is, even if my MC133J were to be unlocked, would the phone operate the same as an iPhone 3GS purchased in the USA?

Question 2: Regardless of the regional distributor of the iPhone, Apple Inc. has the means to an above-board, legal solution. If proof of purchase is documented, is there an exchange process for a phone (even if locked to AT&T) that works in the USA?

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Mar 18, 2010 11:53 AM

7 replies

Mar 18, 2010 11:59 AM in response to essentially made

The Japanese iphone ( as with many countries, including the U.S.) is locked to the provider ( Softbank, in this case). They cannot be activated with any other carrier in any other country. This is very common.

There is no legit way to unlock you iphone.

Discussion of hacking/illegitimate unlocking iphones is not permitted here.

You can sell your iphone and buy a U.S. iphone.

Mar 18, 2010 12:33 PM in response to roaminggnome

Neither of my questions concern unauthorized modifications, which I am endeavoring to avoid.

However, the official line from Softbank and Apple (which implies "just sell the phone and buy a new one") is a non-solution. I could understand refusal to exchange phones which have been modified, damaged, or otherwise tampered with; however, the case of a new, functional model is different.

Question 1 concerns the iPhone 3GS hardware.
Question 2 concerns the specifics of Apple's exchange policy (admittedly this doesn't belong in the Hardware discussion, but it is relevant to finding a solution).

Mar 18, 2010 5:38 PM in response to essentially made

1. 3G hardware on the iPhone is identical worldwide. Which is why my AT&T iPhone will work on SoftBank's network and vice-versa. 3G GSM Phones (such as the iPhone) do work on W-CDMA, which means AT&T's 3G network and SoftBank's 3G network are compatible, as are 3G GSM networks in Korea, Europe, South America and Asia. EDGE is a subset of GSM that offers a higher data rate then GPRS. Although considered a 3G tech, 3G does not need to be active on your device to use EDGE, although your device/carrier must support EDGE. "True" GSM 3G (ie: W-CDMA) is not built on top of EDGE. This is a VERY simplified explanation, and does NOT take into account frequency bands, etc.

2. While Apple MAY have an above board, legal means of unlocking the iPhone, they have left that to the carrier as previously posted. If the carrier does not offer unlocking, your only above board option is to sell the iPhone to someone who can use it with the appropriate carrier and purchase either an iPhone for your new designated provider OR purchase a carrier-unlocked device online for a premium. Caveat Emptor with that.

This is how Apple has chosen to market/service the iPhone. There is NO exchange process to trade out iPhones between countries.

Message was edited by: stweath

Mar 18, 2010 5:41 PM in response to essentially made

Whenever a company offers up the disingenuous "there is nothing that can be done" (when in fact something can be done), the threshold of seriousness about customer satisfaction has been crossed. The sentiment "too bad; you're out of luck" regarding out-of-region iPhones is all over the internet, and the wellspring is bad policy.

Apr 26, 2010 10:03 PM in response to essentially made

I agree with Essentially Made. I have the same problem - bought an iPhone 3GS in Tokyo, expecting to continue living there for several more years, was suddenly forced to return to my home country and am now stuck with an unusable iPhone. It's all very well to say Caveat Emptor, but you can't surely be unaware that changing countries is a part of modern life for many people these days - and Apple is obviously aware of this too. It seems the locking system is just a blatant device to force people to buy a new iPhone every time they are forced to relocate. I have been a huge fan of the Apple philosophy for many years now but am very disappointed at the surprising level of exploitation that seems to have developed in it recently.

"Buyer Beware" indeed!

MC133J - iPhone 3GS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.