Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Animating a photographic 'object' in a clip

Here's the scene: a simple shot of a starfish on a beach shot from above.

Question: is it possible, using Motion 4, to animate the starfish so that it uses it's legs to walk?, say make an exit stage left?

I have a shot of the starfish on the beach, and a shot of the beach without the starfish.

I'm quite new to Final Cut Studio and Motion 4 so I'm not sure if it's possible to do this. I couldn't find the solution in the Motion 4 Apple Pro Training Series book I bought.

Is it possible? If so, does anyone know of a resource that could help me work it through?

Thanks guys.

13" MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.1), 4GB Ram, 320GB 7200 rpm HD

Posted on Mar 18, 2010 7:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2010 8:41 PM

You could isolate the starfish with a mask and put the shot without the starfish beneath it below, and have the starfish move/rotate off the screen - but the legs wouldn't bend at all, no way AFAIK to do that in Motion - would require something like After Effect's Puppet Tool (been coming up a lot lately, hasn't it?)
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2010 8:41 PM in response to Lloyd Deane

You could isolate the starfish with a mask and put the shot without the starfish beneath it below, and have the starfish move/rotate off the screen - but the legs wouldn't bend at all, no way AFAIK to do that in Motion - would require something like After Effect's Puppet Tool (been coming up a lot lately, hasn't it?)

Animating a photographic 'object' in a clip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.