Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Compatible External DVD Burner Not Compatible?

I just recently bought the New Samsung Slim External DVD Writer SE-S084. It does not respond at all. It gives me no desktop icon when I plug it in via USB(which is it's only power source).

It claims on the box that it is MAC Compatible, OS requirement for MAC is version 10.4.6 Tiger. I'm updated to 10.4.11 so shouldn't be a problem there. In my search I came across somebody who had the same issue with the same Samsung product, and with a firmware update recommended by another poster, their problem was resolved. Everything worked fine.

Both of my EFI and SMC firmware is updated. Could it be I have to reinstall the firmware?
I also tried to use PatchBurn with no avail. Do I need PatchBurn?

I am so lost. Can anyone help me with this? It seems like a simple solution has to be out there, I just can't find it on my own.

Thanks!

Macbook 1,1 Intel Core Duo DDR2, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 18, 2010 7:08 PM

6 replies

Mar 18, 2010 8:54 PM in response to Donald Morgan

if it still wont work why not update the software to leopard or even snow leopard?? it should work then because there are more drivers preinstalled. also i do not see a driver download from samsung on there website so if it still will not work you probably have to update you macbook.

Heres the link to your dvd drives page, also i do not see anything on that page pointing towards support for mac, just pc by the download tab. maybe you read the box wrong???? or i could just be wrong 🙂

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/detail/supportPrdDetail.do?menu=SP01&prdia_cd=05050500&prd_mdl_cd=&prd_mdl_name=SE-S084B&prd_ia_sub_classcd=P

🙂 Dean

Message was edited by: Hyprhwk2448

Mar 19, 2010 1:48 PM in response to Hyprhwk2448

The box has the little MAC finder face icon right next to the Windows icon. Most reviews have stated that it is a plug in and play unit for MAC and it needs no drivers from samsung to work perfectly out of the box(which I suppose is why no drivers are available) It also specifically states the system requirements being Mac version 10.4.6

On top of this, I have read people's testaments of successfully running this DVD Writer on an older OS such as Panther for Mac. It required a software update of some sort, but it worked for them afterward.

I am not able to use my internal superdrive on the Macbook due to either the hardware being broken or the software being broken, and so I have no way of legitimately installing Leopard. My primary reason for using the Samsung is so I can use installation disks for various software I have purchased.

Is there anything else I can do besides give up on this particular model?

Mar 19, 2010 2:24 PM in response to micahcore

I am a little bit miffed at the fact that you have a newer Macbook and you have a problem with the Optical drive. Did you restart the computer and select OSX instead of Windows, then open Safari and then go to Samsung's web site, and support then find your model of external and download the drivers for it. They should open and run automaticlly, if not they will give you the instructions on how to download them. When you do this make sure you have the external plugged in. I would also make sure that you are plugged into the USB-2 port, and not the USB-1 port.
If all that fails Google for your model Samsung and type in SAMSUNG EXTERNAL SLIMLINE DRIVERS FOR MAC. then hit enter. many times you can find opensource drivers there that are better than factory drivers.
Check as well and make sure there isn't a recall or a fix from Apples Site for your Internal Optical drive. It simply doesn't make since that you have a failure on this newer optical drive.
Did you Run Macjanitor, or Cache OutX, or Onyx, and did you repair permissions. Any one of these or a combination could fix your problem if the optical drive isn' fried.
Any of the software mentioned is FREE and you can Google for them.

Mar 22, 2010 7:03 PM in response to micahcore

I ended up hooking it up to my girlfriend's Windows desktop to find out if there was an option to format it to Mac thru accessing the user manual and it suggested going to:

About this Mac
Disc Burning

Then it should say whether or not your computer was reading the drivers or not.
It said nothing to indicate that it was there, but I quickly shift clicked or double clicked right on the words "disc Burning" and the disc started spinning!

Don't know if it was the PC I put it in to test or just shift clicking but it works great now. I recommend trying both if you ever have this problem with an external dvd burner.

I have yet to try the programs you mentioned to fix my internal drive but I do plan to investigate.

Thanks again for all your help!!

Mac Compatible External DVD Burner Not Compatible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.