Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PDF from Mac does not open at Windows...!!!

Hi friends,
Recently, I notice from some clients, that e-mail, I sent in PDF file (from Numbers) NOBODY, can open it from Windows mail. Outlook or Outlook Express..!
Anyone knows why..??
Please advice..

MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2BB 667 MHz DDR2), Mac OS X (10.5.8), iPod nano, Time Capsule, iPhone 3GS

Posted on Mar 19, 2010 6:40 AM

13 replies

Mar 19, 2010 10:37 PM in response to Yannis Pavlou

If you have the file, and can manually have it set to open using
Adobe Reader instead of the default Apple Preview (or the app
which created the file, which the recipient does not have) then
perhaps someone using windows can open it in their Reader.

However, I am not sure if you can select a default choice an-
other operating system could use, such as you can with the
Mac OS X; since you can choose what to open a file with,
but may not be able to have that choice stick for the recipient.

Hard to say, but sometimes that kind of thing works.
Of course, if the recipient has a GMail account the
.PDF may work in there, no Reader or not.

In any event...
Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Mar 22, 2010 11:43 AM in response to Yannis Pavlou

Frequently a PDF exported from an iWork app defaults to have the extension hidden, and when attached, I do not see the extension -- at least while composing. I always make sure to deselect to have the extension hidden using Get Info or other access, and I have never tempted fate to leave it hidden before attachment.

Just a thought, but perhaps worth checking, since Windows requires the extension to know the file type.

Ernie

Mar 22, 2010 12:14 PM in response to Yannis Pavlou

I am saying that might be a problem -- have never tested sending the message with the extension hidden. Presumedly if Always Send Windows Friendly is selected (as would be advisable, also), the extension may get revealed, but again I have not tested.

When attaching, you can briefly select the More Info button, and do the same in that resulting info dialogue.

Ernie

Mar 23, 2010 6:20 AM in response to Ernie Stamper

Not sure what the PDF exported as PDF is not opening, however, am more familiar with exporting from Pages than from Numbers. It would be interesting to know if the PC is able to open other PDF files or not and with what application, ie Adobe. Apple technical support does have a department called iApps that specializes in Pages/Numbers/Keynote as well as all the iLife software. If you have applecare coverage, it might be worth your time to call Apple. If you don't have Applecare, there is a billable option for support. However, please keep in mind that it is hard to fix an issue on the receipients end if everything you are doing is correct on the mac end.

Mar 23, 2010 8:54 AM in response to Kim Bailey

I understand that, but there is always a but..!!
For example, I have absolutely no problem to send a readable (to others) PDF file. I know that, because i am sending quotes all the time.
The problem starts from Numbers. But why..?? This is not make any sense.. to me. To you....??
By the way I use ver. 7... something at PDF, I will upgrade it, if its necessary..

PDF from Mac does not open at Windows...!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.