Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camcorder compatibility

Have a Mini-DV camcorder now and looking at new camcorders. I am concerned with formats (DVD, SDcards, hard disk) and ease of editing as compared to Mini-DV. What camcorders is everyone else using? I just fear compatibility issues with editing and non-functionality with FCE 3.5 with anything other than Mini-DV camcorders.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.8), FCE 3.5, Tiger OS

Posted on Mar 20, 2010 5:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2010 5:20 PM

FCE 3.5 is best suited for DV cams (for standard def) and HDV tape cams (for hi-def).

If you get a flash-based camera or hard drive camera, like the AVCHD hi-def cameras, you'll really need to upgrade to FCE 4.0 (not free) and then update 4.0 to 4.0.1 (free).

Unless I miss my mark, if you get the newer flash-based cameras that shoot only in standard-def (MPEG-2 format), or any of the small DVD cameras, that won't be compatible with FCE (any version) out of the box, but if the files are copied to the Mac and converted to a QT file with a DV codec, FCE 3.5 will work with them.
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2010 5:20 PM in response to Parm4u

FCE 3.5 is best suited for DV cams (for standard def) and HDV tape cams (for hi-def).

If you get a flash-based camera or hard drive camera, like the AVCHD hi-def cameras, you'll really need to upgrade to FCE 4.0 (not free) and then update 4.0 to 4.0.1 (free).

Unless I miss my mark, if you get the newer flash-based cameras that shoot only in standard-def (MPEG-2 format), or any of the small DVD cameras, that won't be compatible with FCE (any version) out of the box, but if the files are copied to the Mac and converted to a QT file with a DV codec, FCE 3.5 will work with them.

Mar 20, 2010 6:38 PM in response to Parm4u

I have a Sony AVCHD camcorder. It records in HD and SD. SD takes less room in the camcorder memory: more recording time. FCE 4 cannot use SD, however. (Little did I know that SD is a format, not shorthand for Standard Definition.) Converting SD takes a $20 program from Apple plus MPG Streamclip (free) and is cumbersome. FCE 4 can use the HD directly via a function called Log and Transfer. That works like a champ. The Sony can take stills, too, even simultaneously while recording video. In SD, however, the stills cannot be recovered. In HD, they come right into iPhoto.

Mar 21, 2010 6:20 PM in response to Geoff Kaiser

Geoff: Thanks for clearing the format stuff up. Coming in the back door is very cumbersome because the clips have to be imported one at a time. Bummer. Record in HD; it is much simpler and works like a champ. I merely invested a couple of bucks in a backup chip. If I run out of storage space on the camcorder, I just put in the spare chip and direct the camcorder to record on it.

Camcorder compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.