Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Deleted user won't go away

1482 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2010 9:26 PM by Douglas Urner RSS
Douglas Urner Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 21, 2010 6:43 PM
I'm trying to delete a user on a MBP that has been configured to run mobile homes. It was authenticating against a Mini running SLS. I've deleted the account in both Workgroup Manager and in System Preferences on the MBP. Yet if I type the command "id username" in Terminal, the user's information is displayed. The same command typed on another machine (which is still talking to the server) reports "No such user."

So I think that the user's account/credentials must be cached on the MBP (since the user has been deleted through WGM and the machine is no longer bound to the directory). Does anybody know who to make the machine forget the user? I've tried clearing the caches in /System/Library and /Library.
Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)
  • foilpan Level 4 Level 4 (1,385 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2010 7:29 PM (in response to Douglas Urner)
    try using dscl to see if the user's still in the local directory node on the machine in question:

dscl . -read /users/username

if so, use dscl with the -delete option to remove it or delete the plist in /var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/users.
    mbp 2.4, mbp 2.16, powerbook G4 1ghz, G4 400 mhz, dell test box, etc., Mac OS X (10.6.2), plain text 4 life

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.