Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer artwork to mp3 file

Hi.

Is it possible to transfer (copy) the artwork directly into the mp3 file instead of keeping the artwork inside the iTunes library?

Thanks

SP3 - iTunes 9.0.3, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Mar 23, 2010 5:03 AM

3 replies

Mar 23, 2010 3:35 PM in response to geohei

geohei wrote:
Hi.

Is it possible to transfer (copy) the artwork directly into the mp3 file instead of keeping the artwork inside the iTunes library?

Thanks

I was of the opinion that the artwork is kept in the (your username/music/iTunes/album artwork folder, but it is in a non descriptive format as far as I know.

Mar 23, 2010 4:35 PM in response to geohei

It depends how it got there.

If you use the "Get Album Artwork" feature, the art is stored in an encrypted format in the Artwork folder of the iTunes library.

If you pasted art into the Artwork window, the art is written as part of the MP3 file, and thus it will be there if the file is used in another program.

Apr 13, 2010 12:07 PM in response to geohei

I was trying to solve this problem, too, so I wrote a script that (a) extracts the album artwork from iTunes (placing it in a "album artwork" subdirectory in your Windows temp directory), and then (b) resets the artwork for the selected tracks (and in the process, incorporates the artwork into the mp3 files).

You may download it by right clicking on this link, http://www.robertmryan.com/tech/ResetArtwork.vbs , and selecting to save the file to your local machine. Then, in iTunes, select the tracks for which you want to integrate the artwork into the mp3 file, and then run this program. This VB script is just a text file, so feel free to open up the script in your favorite text editor if you want to see what it's doing.

This works for me, but iTunes scripting is a little flaky, so I don't make any promises. I used it successfully on Windows 7 and iTunes 9.0 and 9.1. I'd suggest trying it with just one or two tracks first and make sure it works, before you run it on all of your tracks. It's also a bit slow: It took about an hour or so with 10,000 tracks on my reasonably fast machine.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Transfer artwork to mp3 file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.