Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie support for a Sony Digital 8

I have a Sony Digital 8 and have used it many times to import video from into iMovie 8 & iMovie 9. Suddenly it does not recognize it anymore. I have it connected by FireWire and have tried 2 cables and 2 Macs with no improvement. When I have iMovie open, it only recognizes the built in iSight. Any thoughts?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2), 20" iMac

Posted on Mar 25, 2010 11:05 AM

6 replies

Apr 12, 2010 1:17 AM in response to MustangJoboo

I have a Macbook Pro and am trying to import video from a Sony DCR-TRV130 Digital 8 camcorder using iMovie. I've done successfully this a few times already. Suddenly iMovie no longer sees my Sony. But I did do it a few times before it stopped working. I'm pretty frustrated because this is the primary reason I bought this Macbook Pro!

I "think" that I read somewhere recently that the newest iMovie no longer supports or allows importing from either Digital 8 or Hi-8, I forget which. Anyone hear anything like this? I'm trying to find that post.

Apr 12, 2010 8:32 AM in response to goodcomac

I successfully import into iMovie 09 from a digital 8 Sony DCR-TRV350, which I got off e-bay to read my old analog 8mm tapes. It's a "bridge" camera capable of dealing with either analog or digital tape.

Anyway, I recall that it can be tricky to set the CAMERA to put out a signal that iMovie will see. It needs to be in tape mode, not memory card mode, and you cannot use the "USB streaming" feature - iMovie needs to see a firewire connection for importing from a tape-based camera.

Apr 13, 2010 10:36 PM in response to MustangJoboo

I have a Sony Digital 8 camcorder and it works great, although to import analog tapes I have to switch the camcorder to "analog mode only" rather than "auto" in order for video to appear in iMovie. But in any case the camcorder itself is always recognized. I have the latest version of iMovie '09.

Have you tried testing it with iMovie HD 6? If it doesn't work there either, perhaps your camcorder is broken somehow...

iMovie support for a Sony Digital 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.