Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Child Lock

How do I child lock my Iphone.
I've tried password lock, but this is almost worse than no lock because it exposes a button called 'Emergency Phone Call', so our 2 yr old son ends up dialling emergency calls.

3GS, iPhone OS 3.1.3

Posted on Mar 26, 2010 2:41 PM

18 replies

Mar 26, 2010 3:10 PM in response to Graham Outterside

Graham, it sounds like you have never had a climbing toddler before.
He can literally get to every recharging point in the house, and we like to let the older children occasionally have access to the phone in which case the younger one eventually gets it somehow.

Such an easy problem to solve with a multitouch unlock, or an option to disable the emergency phone button

At least Nokia have Function * which too hard for toddlers.

Mar 26, 2010 3:22 PM in response to livingedge

Ever heard of locked rooms ?

Worked for us - you should treat your phone as an $800 crystal vase accordingly. Or keep it upstairs behind a locked stair gate, when they are downstairs.

Or as others have suggested you'll be one of the 'one a week' we get complaining about the moisture sensors being tripped by drool and then complaining about Apple not making allowances for kids.

Mar 26, 2010 5:24 PM in response to livingedge

About once a week, someone comes on these forums asking how to do something or other that will allow their toddler/baby to play with an expensive electronic device. Graham isn't being rude but straightforward that the phone needs to be placed somewhere the toddler can't access. You wouldn't let him play with the kitchen knives and the phone is simply another kitchen knife.

Mar 27, 2010 3:25 AM in response to livingedge

livingedge wrote:
Grahams comments were just rude and unhelpful.

Please clarify which words were rude ?

Maybe I was unhelpful as you were expecting Apple to introduce some technology to make up for your desire to not be responsible for your actions in adequately controlling your childs behaviour.

Should you believe this to be so, I am genuinely sorry for your child.

Apr 6, 2010 12:52 AM in response to Graham Outterside

I agree Grahams comments were unhelpful and rude and I have no idea why people like that bother replying to Forums such as this when they have nothing to contribute.
There are currently two apps in production that will lock all features of the iphone except for the apps you wish them to access. These are however not due to be ready until later in the year.
Dont worry the iphone is fine to be used by 2 year olds when supervised and doesnt resemble a valuable vase or a kitchen knife in any way unless you are Grahams child!

Apr 6, 2010 4:02 AM in response to nwhitehall

nwhitehall wrote:
There are currently two apps in production that will lock all features of the iphone except for the apps you wish them to access. These are however not due to be ready until later in the year.

And if you knew anything about the iPhone, you would know they are just speculation and rumour, and would never get approved. Apple never allow one App to control the actions of another - its called sandboxing and is at the heart of why the phone is reliable. They will not break this simply because a parent cannot control where they leave their phone.

Dont worry the iphone is fine to be used by 2 year olds when supervised and doesnt resemble a valuable vase or a kitchen knife in any way unless you are Grahams child!

Sure, just like all the people who come here with moisture damaged phones due to their kids dribbling on it, spilling juice on it and voiding the warranty - and somehow this is Apple fault.

Said Apps will never get approval.

Apr 6, 2010 4:56 AM in response to nwhitehall

Wow! You created an account to join the children in saying that honest is rude and unhelpful? I guess you must be one of those people who let their children rule the roost instead of being a parent and setting boundaries.

The iPhone is NOT a toy for toddlers. They are age appropriate toys available and you may want to check them out.

Apr 6, 2010 4:58 AM in response to Graham Outterside

Graham Outterside wrote:
Sure, just like all the people who come here with moisture damaged phones due to their kids dribbling on it, spilling juice on it and voiding the warranty - and somehow this is Apple fault.

I be they're also the same people who say the iPhone is fragile and Apple should do something about it when little Johnny/Suzy slams the screen on the corner of the table and it shatters.

Child Lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.