Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Irritating: Recovered Files Folder in Trash after every boot

I have a clean installation of Snow Leopard on my 2009 iMac. The computer came with Leopard. But I gave uncle Steve $30 and got the Snow Leopard disc.

I did a clean installation; did not use any time machine recovery or reuse any old data. Just CLEAN.

Now, after each shut down and restart cycle, the Trash can has crumbled paper. This really bothers me. I thought Macs suppose to work correctly. I did not delete anything and nothing should be in that Trash. If OS deletes something, it should take care of it behind the curtain. I don't want to see trash in the Trash can.

So I opened the Trash and see what's inside it. Every time, it is a folder called Recovered Files, and it has 0 bytes in it.

I have no other software installed on the computer. All latest updates applied as of Mar 27.

Any ideas?

2009 iMac. 2.66GHz. 4GB. 320GB. nVidia 9400., Mac OS X (10.6.2), FireWire HDDs: TimeMachine 500GB. Pics 500GB. Video 1TB.

Posted on Mar 27, 2010 8:56 AM

15 replies

Mar 27, 2010 9:10 AM in response to Alex DeSlim

HI,

If the Trash contains folders of recovered files:

One or more Recovered Files folders may appear in your Trash after restarting your computer.

The recovered files are temporary files used by Mac OS X applications. Usually temporary files are deleted by an application when it no longer needs them. If an application quits unexpectedly, the temporary files may not be deleted by the application. When you restart your computer, Mac OS X moves these temporary files to the Trash.

Solving Trash Problems

Go to Finder/Preferences and select the Advanced tab. Deselect: Empty Trash securely if it's ticked.

Carolyn 🙂

Mar 27, 2010 10:04 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thank You, Carolyn.

I always empty that Trash can which has 0-byte Recovered Files folder. After reboot, the Trash shows the same thing again.

I have reinstalled the Snow Leopard several times CLEANLY several times now just to make sure I was not bringing junks. Trash keeps reappearing with the same Recovered Files folder again and again.

Really sick and tired of this now. I did not have this problem in Leopard.

( No, I do not have "Empty Trash Securely" checked. )

Mar 31, 2010 11:17 AM in response to Alex DeSlim

This question is still unresolved. Perhaps this does not bother most people. I am just crazy.

There is one more annoyance, in fact. I have a very fast SATA external HDD (LaCie) set up as Time Machine drive via Firewire. Upon boot, Snow Leopard takes more than 2 minutes to change that Time Machine external HDD icon from a standard yellow Firewire HDD icon to the green Time Machine icon. I've tried clicking and reading the drive, it works fine. But the icon will change at a much later time. What's going on? Is Mac going the way of Windows?

Mar 31, 2010 11:43 AM in response to Alex DeSlim

Alex, once in a great while I get the recovered files folder in the Trash. I've never understood the explanations and I've never ever found anything in one of those folders that I needed. Not sure why your problem is happening so often. I'd be aggravated too but I don't know the answer.

I've also noticed that my external FW HD first appears on my desktop as a generic yellow FW HD icon upon booting. It kind of varies for me. Sometimes TM will recognize it right away and do an immediate backup. Sometimes the icon will stay yellow for a while and then TM will fire up and do a backup and the icon will turn green. I haven't found this to be much of a problem though. And I don't know how to change it either.

I don't think that Mac is going the way of Windows by any means however!

Regards,
Steve M.

Apr 22, 2010 4:29 PM in response to bishboria

Exact same problem here as Alex and Bishboria.

I'm always cleaning my Trash, whatever I reboot, shutdown or wake-up the computer from sleep mode, the previously empty trash get an empty "Recovered Files" folder...

This happens since Snow Leopard upgrade. Subsequent versions of Snow 10.6.x didn't correct this behavior.

Same wish than Alex: if the system is performing some auto-cleaning at each restart cycle, fine, I'm glad that the system takes care of itself and of my computer. But don't show me this empty folder... Let me handle MY trash! So that I know when I forget to empty it.

It should goes to another post, but this "bug" belongs to the (long?) list of Snow's glitches: longer time to boot, slugishness response from internal harddrive. Should I go back to Leopard which was so responsive? The brand new full-64bits-Kernel isn't it supposed to be faster, stronger, more efficient than the 32bits one?!

May 1, 2010 5:36 AM in response to Alex DeSlim

The only piece of information I can add to this having had the same problem and no answer either, is that I first noticed this occurring with the connection of my LaCie HDD. Not using Time Machine with an external HDD for a backup I notice this doesn't occur everytime I log in. So if you are using you external HDD everytime you log in, I'd say it has something to do with that. Something about deleting files from the HDD they end up in your Mac's trash. Then this event is logged and when you log in, tries to recover the files, however those files are long gooone...

Not sure if this helps...but maybe another avenue to pursue.

May 27, 2010 5:50 AM in response to Alex DeSlim

Try this.... go to System Preferences >> Accounts >> Login Items, and remove them. Boot normally and test. If not go to ~(yourHome)/Library /Contextual Menu Items and move whatever is there to the desktop. Then do the same with /Library/ Contextual Menu Items..
Log out/in or restart, if that sorts it start putting items back one at a time until you find the culprit.

User uploaded file
-mj

Jun 2, 2010 4:46 AM in response to Alex DeSlim

I get the Recovered Files folder in my Trash on a fairly regular basis. It's never empty, though. It always has at least two files in it, and they both appear to be Acrobat files. They always have the name "Acr(followed by a string of numbers).tmp"

Sometimes there are other folders inside the Recovered Files folder. This morning, there is an "AdapterTemp" folder (It's in there almost as often as the Acr files) and an "internet" folder. The "internet" folder has an "upload_folder" inside. Inside that is a copy of a file I had uploaded to a web server yesterday. So, I'm guessing that folder came from the app that did the uploading.

I have no idea where the AdapterTemp folder comes from.

The Recovered Files folder shows up without re-booting. Just logging-out from my user account is enough to have the folder show up.

Jun 8, 2010 9:00 PM in response to bazmond7854

After my last post I did a bit more hunting, and thanks to another thread discovered the problem appears to be Google Talk.
There is an uninstaller in macintoshHD/library/application support/google
I uninstalled and after 2nd restart (the recovered folder apparently is generated on start-up so you need 2 restarts) the folder is no longer generated. (so far)

Jun 8, 2010 10:35 PM in response to Alex DeSlim

What you are worrying about, is nothing to worry about.

Those empty files/folders in the trash are a result of changes made to Apple's shutdown process
in Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard employes a more "unix" style shutdown, which, although much
quicker, may leave behind a program's useless temporary items. While annoying, it is normally
totally harmless.

If you find the offending program, close it before shutting down your Mac and those file/folder
remnants won't be in your trash at the next boot.

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/09/03/mac-10-6-comes-with-license-to-kill/

Snow Leopard, like my old Tom Cat, isn't shy about letting the fur fly once in a while. 🙂

Aug 9, 2010 9:36 AM in response to bazmond7854

bazmond7854 wrote:
After my last post I did a bit more hunting, and thanks to another thread discovered the problem appears to be Google Talk.
There is an uninstaller in macintoshHD/library/application support/google
I uninstalled and after 2nd restart (the recovered folder apparently is generated on start-up so you need 2 restarts) the folder is no longer generated. (so far)

Thank you!

This has been bugging me for a while, figured it must be some 3rd party app as I don't have Snow Leopard, but had no idea which one.

Shouldn't an app only be using temporary files if it's running though? I haven't used google talk at all for several months now and it was still happening. Would it have been running in the background and slowing things down?

- K

Irritating: Recovered Files Folder in Trash after every boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.