Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture structures ... thinking through workflow ...

Hi. Many will find this +too much+. I am setting up an Aperture database for the first time, merging several tens of thousands of images from five different sources -- a process which I am likely to only do once, and which will in many ways set in concrete the channels through which my work is likely to flow for some time. So I'd like to get it right -- or at least pretty good -- at the start.

I now think of Aperture as having three different structures which are good to keep mentally and physically separate. One should design each structure:
• The storage structure (where things are filed on one's HDs)
• The access structure (how the Library is set up; used to group, find, and pick images, as well as thorough but not output-based image editing)
• The production structure (I'm separating "making and optimizing picks" from "producing output for specific uses")

I have arrived at a file-naming convention and a referenced-Masters HD tree with which I am satisfied. Importing files has gone well. I'm starting to work my way through the next two structures.

There seem to be two areas creating confusion. One is the (imho bad) decision to use the term "Project" as the name for the standard +access structure+ bin. (I can see where this makes sense, but my work rarely involves wholly bounded projects such as weddings and product shoots. I'd offer "Sheet" as an alternative (like slide sheet, or spreadsheet), but I haven't tested that out.)

The second area creating confusion is that the +access structure+ and the +production structure+ are jumbled together in the Library. I've begun to set up two separate root Folders: one for my +access structure+ and one for my +production structure+. The +access structure+ is organized in a way which makes sense to me, and contains all my Projects (and therefore all my Masters and Versions). It is there that I develop images from raw files, stack and group them, and make picks. This, too, seems to be working OK.

The +production structure+ has one folder for each Client and contains all the output (production) runs: albums of pics specially prepared for print (or whatever), slideshows, web galleries, books, etc. Every image here is, of course, simply a pointer back to Versions in Projects in my +access structure+.

Does that make sense? Do you (fellow Aperturist) use and/or recommend a different organizational concept and structure?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about it.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

MacBook Pro 13", Mac OS X (10.6.2), 4 G / 500 G

Posted on Mar 28, 2010 5:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2010 6:10 PM

A lot of your thought process is spot on - but... you are thinking too hierarchical. Think a little bit more relational and definitely more flexibly - I have been using Aperture since day one and the tools it gives you in terms of folders/project and everything else (albums - virtual references with their own album picks for each stack) is everything you need to deal with very very diverse work-flows and organizational tasks.

Consider this - folders are "super projects" -

projects can be ANYTHING the only special thing about them is that masters "live" in only one project = a project does not HAVE to have masters live in it. It can contain albums or any type of album like thing (everything that is not a project or folder containing projects) - albums can have images show up from any project and can live anywhere. So... no matter how you want to work or how you define a "project" even if it is variable throughout your photographic life - it works very very well.

For instance I have a folder commercial fashion - under that are folders for specific clients - under that are projects for specific shoots that I do - or sometimes "super projects" that are folders containing multiple projects/shoots that are all part of a campaign. No big deal - then I do a retrospective about 5 years down the road for a profile for myself for publication - great I create a new project called fashion retrospective 2000-2005 and in it I have some books and some albums and some light tables and a few albums for specific treatments in PS or even adjustments in albums where I create new versions of images that are the album picks for that album. There you go a new project perfectly organized that lives anywhere I want it to that even has it's own new image version show up when the stacks are closed. That has now masters - my original projects as shot and delivered are still the same.

It really is very very flexible but you may just have to get some experience on your own before you see the light. Consistency is good - esp with the way you organize stacks and you albums/album-picks to know that you did and why. otherwise it can become unruly.

Aperture is by far the best tool I have ever used for work-flow and organization. Commercial or self-designed. It gives you very flexible tools that are very powerful that you can wire together any way YOUR workflow and brain works.

I have some stuff on my site that might help

[http://photo.rwboyer.com>

RB
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2010 6:10 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

A lot of your thought process is spot on - but... you are thinking too hierarchical. Think a little bit more relational and definitely more flexibly - I have been using Aperture since day one and the tools it gives you in terms of folders/project and everything else (albums - virtual references with their own album picks for each stack) is everything you need to deal with very very diverse work-flows and organizational tasks.

Consider this - folders are "super projects" -

projects can be ANYTHING the only special thing about them is that masters "live" in only one project = a project does not HAVE to have masters live in it. It can contain albums or any type of album like thing (everything that is not a project or folder containing projects) - albums can have images show up from any project and can live anywhere. So... no matter how you want to work or how you define a "project" even if it is variable throughout your photographic life - it works very very well.

For instance I have a folder commercial fashion - under that are folders for specific clients - under that are projects for specific shoots that I do - or sometimes "super projects" that are folders containing multiple projects/shoots that are all part of a campaign. No big deal - then I do a retrospective about 5 years down the road for a profile for myself for publication - great I create a new project called fashion retrospective 2000-2005 and in it I have some books and some albums and some light tables and a few albums for specific treatments in PS or even adjustments in albums where I create new versions of images that are the album picks for that album. There you go a new project perfectly organized that lives anywhere I want it to that even has it's own new image version show up when the stacks are closed. That has now masters - my original projects as shot and delivered are still the same.

It really is very very flexible but you may just have to get some experience on your own before you see the light. Consistency is good - esp with the way you organize stacks and you albums/album-picks to know that you did and why. otherwise it can become unruly.

Aperture is by far the best tool I have ever used for work-flow and organization. Commercial or self-designed. It gives you very flexible tools that are very powerful that you can wire together any way YOUR workflow and brain works.

I have some stuff on my site that might help

[http://photo.rwboyer.com>

RB

Aperture structures ... thinking through workflow ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.