Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac and eSATA port?

Is there any way to fit an iMac with an eSATA port?

Would be really nice. I mean you can use a card in a MacBook Pro laptop and get eSATA....iMac?

Thanks,

-Ronan

www.ronandonovan.com

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Mar 29, 2010 5:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2010 6:18 PM

No, you can't use eSATA drives. There is no "slot" for you to add a eSATA card. (Current iMacs have a SD card reader, but there are no SD to eSATA adapters.)

You can use a [Firewire to eSATA adapter|http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Firmtek/SPYDERHUB>, if you really needed to. However if you're going to spend that much money, you may as well get a Firewire drive and get close to the same level of performance. (At least much better than any USB drive you'd attach to the iMac.) I'd go with the eSATA/FW adapter only if you have one or two eSATA drives whose total capacity is more than 1TB, since you can get 1TB drives for about the same price as the adapter.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2010 6:18 PM in response to ronmdon

No, you can't use eSATA drives. There is no "slot" for you to add a eSATA card. (Current iMacs have a SD card reader, but there are no SD to eSATA adapters.)

You can use a [Firewire to eSATA adapter|http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Firmtek/SPYDERHUB>, if you really needed to. However if you're going to spend that much money, you may as well get a Firewire drive and get close to the same level of performance. (At least much better than any USB drive you'd attach to the iMac.) I'd go with the eSATA/FW adapter only if you have one or two eSATA drives whose total capacity is more than 1TB, since you can get 1TB drives for about the same price as the adapter.

Mar 29, 2010 9:25 PM in response to Asatoran

Thanks for the response. Is there an adapter to get more than 1 Firewire 800? I'm thinking of something like the USB D-Link? I ask because I have several firewire 800 hard drives. Also, is there an adapter to go from firewire 400 to 800? I have an external CD burner that runs off Firewire 400?
Thanks again.

-Ronan

iMac and eSATA port?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.