8 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2010 5:56 AM by georgeny
straycatcn Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
I don't know why, but since a couple of days, any file I drag to the Trash (or 'right-click' and choose move to trash), now gets deleted immediately.

It used to sit in the Trash until I decided to empty.

I guess there's a settings somewhere, to get it back to normal, but I can't find it

Any help?

MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 6GB Ram, MacBook Pro 15.7,iBook, iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.2)
  • roam Level 6 Level 6 (13,560 points)
    It is not normal behavior, more some kind of error.

Open Force Quit (keys: Commnad + Option + Escape) select Finder and relaunch it.

Check out this post for a wider context.
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=11274420
  • thomas_r. Level 7 Level 7 (30,380 points)
    Try pasting this in the Terminal:

rm -rf ~/.Trash

Then log out and log back in.
  • William Kucharski Level 6 Level 6 (14,890 points)
    This usually happens in one of three situations:

1) The file is on a network volume

2) Your hard drive space is low so the file cannot be copied to your Trash folder

3) Something is wrong with your Trash folder

Thomas' suggestion above will remedy #3, but check your free disk space to see if #2 applies.
  • straycatcn Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    What do you mean by "File is on a network volume"?
    As far as i know I don't have any "network volumes"

Hard disk space is not a problem. My system is on a 500MB HD of which only 200MB is used

The suggestion of typing "rm -rf ~/.Trash" in the terminal doesn't work because I have no permission.
    I run my mac with a user account and an administrator account, for security reasons.
    When I log in as an administrator, the trash works as it should work (and putting the "rm -rf ~/.Trash" command in the Terminal also works, but when I log in as the normal user I can't perform the terminal command (I'm not familiar with Terminal so don't know how I can make commands as an administrator for a user account in Terminal)
  • thomas_r. Level 7 Level 7 (30,380 points)
    If you don't have permission to delete your own .Trash folder, that's likely your problem. It should not take admin privileges to do this.

Here's another way to do it that will nuke the folder down to bedrock... let's say your regular user account is "cat" and your admin account is "supercat". Log in to "supercat", go to the Terminal and type in this command:

sudo rm -rf /Users/cat/.Trash

You'll be prompted for your password... type in the "supercat" account password and press return. This will run the command as root, which means that, as far as the computer is concerned, it's God telling it to delete the folder!

Of course, because of the power of this command, you should be very cautious with it. The "rm" command combined with "sudo" and "-rf" will cheerfully delete anything you point it at - including your entire hard drive - with no undo possible.
  • straycatcn Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Thank you so much!!

I logged into Administrator, went to Terminal, entered the command you suggested, logged out and back to the user account.
    It didn't work immediately, but after I "relaunched" the Finder, my Trash works again as it should

Again thanks!
  • ROGER BURTON Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)
    Hi - if I can jump in here I'm having the same problem, when I type the line in terminal in my admin account I get asked for the ac password but cannot seem to be able to enter it ! Any advice please.

Many thanks Roger
  • georgeny Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Thomas A Reed wrote:
    If you don't have permission to delete your own .Trash folder, that's likely your problem. It should not take admin privileges to do this.

Here's another way to do it that will nuke the folder down to bedrock... let's say your regular user account is "cat" and your admin account is "supercat". Log in to "supercat", go to the Terminal and type in this command:

Thomas, thank you, I too had same problem and used your solution with success.

George in NY