Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect Time Capsule to existing Network

Recently purchased the Time Capsule....

I already have a network therefore I want to add the Time Capsule to existing Network ( I do not want to create a network or use the Time Capsule as a Base Station.

I just want to purely & simply add the Time Capsule to existing network therefore could some please post simple instructions Step by Step to do this.

Your help will be very much appreciated...

imac G5 / ibook G4 / 3g iphone / 2g itouch / classic ipod / Time Capsule, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 30, 2010 12:50 AM

6 replies

Mar 30, 2010 6:19 AM in response to zipster

Welcome to the discussions, zipster!

Your post told us that you want to add the Time Capsule to your existing network, but you didn't tell us whether you wanted to use wireless or ethernet to connect.

Will the Time Capsule be located close to the existing wireless router? If so, it makes good sense to connect the devices using ethernet. This is the best and simplest way to connect the device.

If you plan to locate the Time Capsule in another location, then you will need to use wireless to connect the device to your network.

Which would you prefer?

Mar 30, 2010 6:58 AM in response to zipster

To connect your Time Capsule using wireless, when you open AirPort Utility to click Continue and configure the device, you would choose "Join a wireless network" when the guided setup asks you how you want to configure the Time Capsule.

The guided setup will ask you to establish a name for the device, a device password, and adjust time zone settings. I think the choice to "join" is the second or third window.

To "join" your wireless network, the Time Capsule must know the exact name of your wireless network, the exact security type you are using and the wireless network password.

Should only take you 5-10 minutes to configure the device and get things going.

Mar 30, 2010 6:05 PM in response to zipster

I'm out of practice on backup issues and Pondini is the resident expert on Time Capsule backups here. Suggest that you repost with a different subject line so that the topic matches your current issue so that you will get more views.

In the meantime, download and look over Pondini's excellent guide to Time Machine and Time Capsule here. There is also a link on the top of the main Time Capsule forum page.

Connect Time Capsule to existing Network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.