Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring Using SuperDuper

Does anyone know how to restore my iMac HD using SuperDuper? I am unable to start up to my backup external hard drive, I don't see how I can restore using Utilities. HELP!!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Mar 30, 2010 2:36 PM

17 replies

Mar 30, 2010 3:21 PM in response to Marjean54

How are you trying to boot from your external?

If the computer is working OK, use System Prefs to chose your startup disk, choose and boot from your external and run SD from there. Clone backwards.

If problems booting your Mac, hold the Option key down at startup; when your HD appears, wait a few secs and your external should appear; select the External as your startup disk, then run SD from the external back to your Mac.

Mar 30, 2010 3:53 PM in response to Marjean54

OK.

Had that problem recently.

Do your clean wipe. Get your Mac bootable. Then don't do any updates - just boot into your external, and reverse clone SD from there. The wipe should take about a minute or two; the clone back an hour or more depending on the size of your useage (200gb took an hour and a half approximately a few days ago to fix a similar problem on a 6 month old MBP).

Post back results.

Mar 30, 2010 4:08 PM in response to Marjean54

If I understand correctly, you have a SD clone that predates 10.6.3.

If that's the case, once you wipe and get a bootable Mac, and then startup from your external, SD should be a breeze.

If your SD backup is post 10.6.3, and if the problem surfaced after your SD 10.6.3 clone, you may be cloning your problem back to your Mac.

Assuming the former, once you're up and running, use the standalone Combo Updater to go to 10.6.3.

Keep us posted.

Mar 30, 2010 4:57 PM in response to pcbjr

I erased the hard drive, reinstalled from the install disk, restarted the computer, then restarted holding down the "option" key. Clicked on external hard drive. Got the same Kernel Version 10.0.0 and instructions to restart the computer. In other words, erasing and reinstalling without updates didn't work. I am going to try to update the system to prior to 10.6.3 and see if that does anything. Any other ideas would be helpful.

Restoring Using SuperDuper

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.