Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I Do Pan & Zoom Motion in iDVD Photo Slideshows ?

I just moved over from a PC to an iMac, and am trying to make a DVD out of a lot of still images. In Roxio Easy Creator, you could select a Pan & Zoom option for the slideshows, which would give the effect of the photos moving around while the slideshow played, it simulated motion and looked really cool.

I s there a way to do this in iDVD ?

Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Mar 31, 2010 5:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2010 7:12 AM

That's know as the 'Ken Burns Effect' in iMovie. Make your slideshow in iMovie.
12 replies

Mar 31, 2010 11:02 AM in response to F Shippey

Ok, this helps a lot and it is what I was looking for. So I guess you create the photo slideshow in iMovie using the Ken Burns effect, and then share to Media, and then import into iDVD to make and burn the DVD ?

Is there a way in iMovie to apply a specified Ken Burns effect to all photos in a slideshow, instead of doing it to one at a time ? I would like to set the way it works as a default, and then apply to all.

Thanks again !@

Mar 31, 2010 3:16 PM in response to 2aussies

There are many ways to produce slide shows using iPhoto, iMovie or iDVD, but they all have one thing in common: they reduce the quality of the photos to that of a movie still frame and sometimes limit the number of photos you can use.

If what you want is what I want, namely to be able to use high resolution photos (even 300 dpi tiff files), to pan and zoom individual photos, use a variety of transitions, to add and edit music or commentary, place text exactly where you want it, and to end up with a DVD that looks good on both your Mac and a TV - in other words end up with and end result that does not look like an old fashioned slide show from a projector - you may be interested in how I do it. You don't have to do it my way, but the following may be food for thought!

Firstly you need proper software to assemble the photos, decide on the duration of each, the transitions you want to use, and how to pan and zoom individual photos where required, and add proper titles. For this I use Photo to Movie. You can read about what it can do on their website:

http://www.lqgraphics.com/software/phototomovie.php

(Other users here use the alternative FotoMagico: http://www.boinx.com/fotomagico/homevspro/ which you may prefer - I have no experience with it.)

Neither of these are freeware, but are worth the investment if you are going to do a lot of slide shows. Read about them in detail, then decide which one you feel is best suited to your needs.

Once you have timed and arranged and manipulated the photos to your liking in Photo to Movie, it exports the file to iMovie 6 as a DV stream. You can add music in Photo to Movie, but I prefer doing this in iMovie where it is easier to edit. You can now further edit the slide show in iMovie just as you would a movie, then send it to iDVD 7, or Toast, for burning.

You will be pleasantly surprised at how professional the results can be!

Apr 1, 2010 5:14 AM in response to Klaus1

Klaus1 - I really appreciate this input. My wife and I do lots of travel photography, using Canon SLR's and a G9 for short movie clips and are looking to get an HD video SLR. We like to make them into DVD slideshows to show friends and family, on a 53" HD TV. As such, the resulting quality is VERY important to me.

So you are saying that using iMovie or iDVD results in reduced quality ? Can you give me more info on that ? What kind of resolution, format, etc ?

I like what I see about Photo to Movie, and the price isn't bad. I'll download the trial and give it a go. Using your process, what resolution/format do you export to iMovie/iDVD ? Is it really a lot better than just using iMovie to build the slideshows ?

Thanks so much for responding. It sounds like my needs are really a lot like yours. I'm really intrigued about a way to get good quality slideshows on DVD from photos, as in the past I always thought that our great photos did not look so good on DVD/HDTV.

Thanks much !

Apr 1, 2010 7:44 AM in response to 2aussies

So you are saying that using iMovie or iDVD results in reduced quality?

Reduced in terms of the original. iMovie makes them equal to a video still, although if the original is of high resolution it still looks quite good.

Using your process, what resolution/format do you export to iMovie/iDVD ?

I save photos as either tiff or jpg files (depending on their historical importance), at 200 ppi, at around 3.5 megapixels. This gives me a print of about 15 x 9.6 inches to work with, or about 8 MB each.

Those I simply drag into Photo to Movie, sometimes in batches of 150+. After setting timings, transitions, zoom effects etc, plus titles and/or explanatory notes (for the latter I use a little app called Rolling Credits*), I export the project as a DV movie. Sometimes I add the music in Photo to Movie (if it has to synch with transitions etc), sometimes into the resulting iMovie 6 project.

In iMovie 6 I choose any Chapter breaks if required, then it's off to iDVD 9 for adding a theme. If no theme is required, I burn the iMovie project using Toast. If it has ended up as a iDVD project, I save that as a disk image and again use Toast for burning.

But at the end of the day we all have our preferred work flows!

Experimenting is fun! 🙂

* you can get Rolling Credits here: http://www.rqs.ca/RollingCredits/

Apr 1, 2010 1:57 PM in response to Klaus1

sorry to ask so many questions …. but

so my planned workflow is to build still photo slideshows (from RAW or 3-5mb digital images edited in Lightroom/Aperture) and separate movie clip slideshows (from .avi files from a Canon G9) and then build a DVD menu system in iDVD, and then burn to DVD using iDVD.

Are you saying that using Photo to Movie instead of iMovie to build the photo slideshows will result in higher quality/resolution movies when brought into iDVD, than if they were done in iMovie ? If so, I'm moving to Photo to Movie straight away.

thanks again !

Apr 1, 2010 5:07 PM in response to 2aussies

my planned workflow is to build still photo slideshows (from RAW or 3-5mb digital images edited in Lightroom/Aperture) and separate movie clip slideshows (from .avi files from a Canon G9)

I have no idea as I don't use any of that stuff!

I never touch AVI files, an out of date movie file container from Microsoft that can contain almost any codec, and which will probably need conversion. Conversion = quality loss.

I think (but could be wrong) that Photo to Movie offer a trial period.

As I said: experiment! It's either right for you or not!

Can I Do Pan & Zoom Motion in iDVD Photo Slideshows ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.