I wouldn't be too worried about it at this point, unless KVDB gives some specifics. Mavericks is pre-release software. How did he get it and what version is he using on what machine, what was the initial experience and what was the experience after applying the kext fix?
I will be very interested, though, when Mavericks is released, if some brave soul will buy it and test it and report back, so I have an idea whether I should buy it as well. Or, I might just do that myself.
It has been a long time since I last posted any comments about this serious problem with aspects of the OS regarding the video kexts....
My present system is:
System Software Overview:
System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Not Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 1:29
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro:
Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x9583
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B2250L-259
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.259
Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Status: No Display Connected
Now. I have been operating this Mac with OS Snow Leopard 10.6.7 for many months now with no problems relating to the ones mentioned in this thread having utilised the kext fix that was necessary to avoid the freezes. Due to changes with iPHONE and iTUNES I needed to upgrade to 10.6.8! Trepidation ensued!! So I took advice from this thread and went ahead with forcing my system to boot in 64-Bit mode. I then did an upgrade via Software Update, not the Combo, which I had downloaded . . . for some reason it would not allow me to proceed with the update. I updated via Software Update and rebooted. I then applied the kext fix and then immediately did two Permissions fixes. Since then I have been enjoying a stable Mac, like I had done with 10.6.7 but with extra advantages that the update offers. I did make sure that I killed any old applications that would only run in 32-Bit mode first. So, fingers crossed I am now ready to take a leap up the mountain, as it were! Mountain Lion. First, though I will wait and watch this thread to see if it is possible to use the kext fixes as 'normally' applied. Of course, I still have my OS 10.6.7 on my backup drive via Super Duper. That will soon be replaced by 10.6.8 after a few more weeks of stability!
installed mavericks on the very same day GM was available.
installed it straight on top of 10.8.5.
added a second monitor, cause 10.9 rocks with it.
it's a 2007 alu imac 20" with ATI2400HD.
been using it all the time, watching fullscreen videos from
youtube. original kexts from mavericks are used, no fix applied.
no freezes, nothing. it's stable and responsive since almost 2 weeks.
(10 days 21 hours).
see command outputs below.
imac:~ bat$ uname -a
Darwin imac.local 13.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 13.0.0: Thu Sep 19 22:22:27 PDT 2013; root:xnu-2422.1.72~6/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
imac:~ bat$ kextstat | grep ATI
78 0 0xffffff7f817db000 0x22f000 0x22f000 com.apple.ATIRadeonX2000 (8.1.8) <74 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>
imac:~ bat$ kextstat | grep AMD
76 2 0xffffff7f820c5000 0x6d000 0x6d000 com.apple.kext.AMDSupport (1.1.4) <75 74 11 10 7 5 4 3 1>
77 0 0xffffff7f8215b000 0x166000 0x166000 com.apple.kext.AMD2400Controller (1.1.4) <76 74 11 10 5 4 3 1>
80 0 0xffffff7f8213f000 0x14000 0x14000 com.apple.kext.AMDFramebuffer (1.1.4) <76 74 11 10 7 5 4 3 1>
imac:~ bat$ uptime
19:28 up 10 days, 21:28, 4 users, load averages: 1.20 1.68 1.77
Having updated to a 'stable' setup with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 using the kext fix and forcing into 64-bit mode I copied this to my external HD via Super Duper!. This is now backed up. I downloaded 10.9 Mavericks today and after waiting a very long time for it to download from the App Store (Free upgrade as well), I went ahead and installed it. Once installed I started to arrange how it worked, going through all the setups asked for by the Apple installer. At about half an hour in . . . boom . . . a grey screen. Disappointed to say the least. Anyway, I know it is not supposed to work but I thought I would have a go and install the kext fixes that worked for 10.6.8 (those from 10.6.2). Loaded them in and rebooted. Blimey! When it came up, everything was going along treacle-footed and obviously not correct. So, I did a repair permissions via the Disk Utility. Rebooted and . . . as of now, a few hourse later . . . the system is working. I haven't had chance to test everything but will report back later with a unpdate. If it goes pear-shaped . . . I will revert to 10.6.8. Wish me luck....