Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme and VLANs

I think I know the answer to this question, but thought I'd pose it anyhow.

We have 13 Extremes throughout our school. Coverage is great and Airports are rock-steady.

However, with the purchase of two carts of iPod Touch devices, we're running out of IP addresses for the subnet we've used for the last 10 years.

I can create additional subnets easily, but any other than the original subnet can NOT get out to the internet. It appears that I need to create VLANs inside the network to be able to get out through the router we have. I'm going to get a new router but one thing the Cisco rep asked me was if the Extremes could be configured to create VLANS (like a switch can). I'm guessing NO?

One of the things I'd like to do is provide a "free" wireless network for parents and visitors to the school. I suspect I'll have to buy additional WAPs in order to do that, OR, can the Extremes be configured to provide an additional network like the new Valet (Cisco) router does. I'm also guessing NO?

Thanks,
John Orban
System Administrator
The Country School

MacBook Pro - 4GB - 17" - WOW!, Mac OS X (10.6.2), MacPro - 16GB - Dual 23" Monitors - 2 X 2.66Ghz

Posted on Apr 1, 2010 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2010 8:31 PM

I'm going to get a new router but one thing the Cisco rep asked me was if the Extremes could be configured to create VLANS (like a switch can). I'm guessing NO?

That is correct, they cannot.

One of the things I'd like to do is provide a "free" wireless network for parents and visitors to the school. I suspect I'll have to buy additional WAPs in order to do that, OR, can the Extremes be configured to provide an additional network like the new Valet (Cisco) router does. I'm also guessing NO?

Pretty much. The latest versions do offer an option to create a "guest" network as a type of VLAN, but it is not extendable between base stations. This feature does allow guests to access the Internet, but not to local resources on the "main" network.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2010 8:31 PM in response to tcsadmin

I'm going to get a new router but one thing the Cisco rep asked me was if the Extremes could be configured to create VLANS (like a switch can). I'm guessing NO?

That is correct, they cannot.

Pretty much. The latest versions do offer an option to create a "guest" network as a type of VLAN, but it is not extendable between base stations. This feature does allow guests to access the Internet, but not to local resources on the "main" network.

Apr 7, 2010 10:44 AM in response to Inkjetmac

Well, I think what I'm going to do, since I'm upgrading my switch infrastructure anyhow, is to look at other WAPs that will support multiple networks. Otherwise I'll have to buy duplicates and I'm not sure how that will work. I'll have to ask my buddy at the local public high school how he does it since they have Airports in each classroom. I'd bet, though, that he has separate networks based on floors or something like that and then reroutes them through Layer 3 switches. (Listen to me, I sound like I know what the heck I'm talking about.)

Airport Extreme and VLANs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.