Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Signal Strength

When my laptop is upstairs my reception is marginal - constantly waivers from one to none on the bar graph, so I am at a snails pace. And we are only talking 45 feet or so from the AirPort

On a ground level, I have ZERO problems, so obviously there must be something in the floors causing interference. Is this a common problem??? Any alternative suggestions???

Thanx,

Frank

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 1, 2010 7:04 PM

5 replies

Apr 1, 2010 7:31 PM in response to Florida 1953

Welcome to the discussions!

The "bars" at the top of your screen are not a very good indicator of the actual signal strength at a given location, and they tell you nothing about the noise from other sources that may be degrading the signal.

Are you running Snow Leopard on your laptop? If so, I suggest that you download iStumbler to get a more accurate picture of what is really happening on your network.

Specifically, what channel is your laptop using?
What is the signal strength in terms of percentage?
What is the noise level in terms of percentage?

Please post back on your findings.

May 15, 2010 9:46 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I switched out my linksys router for the airport extreme, and now I have very low signal strength on both my laptop and my ipod.

I downloaded the Istumbler and with my laptop 4 feet from the airport my signal is only 26%.

I tried to open the airport utility and it says it cannot locate any airport wireless devices, even with the Ethernet plugged into the laptop.

Help!

Signal Strength

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.