Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch WPA/WPA2 WiFi conection no go

New Ipod Touch will not connect to any combination of WPA or WPA2 wireless security whilst WEP is fine but not preferred. Router is most up to date firmware.No Mac filtering in place. Changed model of router but same problem. All other devices incl. Mac, Linux comp, WiFi Internet radio & Wii connect with no probelms to the same WPA2 network. Have tried all suggestions in the discussion forums.Frustrated.

iPod Touch, iPhone OS 3.1.3, 32GB

Posted on Apr 2, 2010 12:44 AM

11 replies

Apr 3, 2010 1:44 PM in response to Larelle

How long is your password with WPA2? Excessively long ones will not work with the touch.

The fact that WEP works and WPA2 doesn't might be a router setup issue. You want to set it to use a pre-shared key (PSK) and not one of the other variations of options out there. You might see this as PSK-TKIP on the option list.

Apr 4, 2010 5:52 AM in response to luvlabs

Thanks for your suggestion.Password is not excessively long.I've tried all lengths of password and WPA variations. As I say I've tried every variation ascribed throughout the support discussions for this issue. I have 7 other wireless items that have no problems whatsoever on my wireless network along with colleagues who connect securely to the same network from time to time with no problems. Obviously I'm not keen to downgrade to lower security WEP over my entire network just to accommodate my particular iTouch's flakey/picky WiFi.At the moment I'm having to share my Internet on my Mac's ibuilt airport via WEP (the only option) just for the Touch whilst everything else on my network happily connects using WPA2 via my router.

Apr 5, 2010 5:05 AM in response to luvlabs

Thanks again. Always good to ask for suggestions but as I mentioned I did apply the most up to date router firmware. I have tried other networks which sometimes don't even allow me to surf the net and my Mac shared WEP connection comes and goes from the available connections on the Touch.I'll be trying yet another router soon. If this problem persists will probably return the Touch.

Apr 9, 2010 5:46 PM in response to Larelle

I have similiar issue but my issue was it can't remember my connection setting. Recently, I just change my Wifi security using WAP instead of WEP 128-bit. It was working fine using WEP. But since I change to WAP all Apple product (iPod Touch and iMac G5) cannot remember my network setting. I've to reconnect and enter the password everytime I on/off the equipments.

Apr 12, 2010 4:38 AM in response to Pamela Gadsden

Thanks Pamela. I have done that. I did spend some time going through the discussions and trying all available solutions before posting. I don't seem to be alone in having WiFi issues. We have decided to return the Touch as every thing else on our WiFi network works without any problems.I've tried 3 brand new routers now without a solution. Maybe a replacement will work, maybe it won't.If not then I'm going to rule out the Touch as a viable item for us and press for a refund.It's a shame this problem persists for some of us.

iPod Touch WPA/WPA2 WiFi conection no go

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.