Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sudden Trouble with Comcast and Apple Mail

About 36 hours ago, with no warning, emails from my 2 Comcast accts (and 1 on my wife's computer) stopped downloading into Apple Mail. No settings were changed in any of these accts. Emails from my Mac and Gmail accts still download as usual. Because my emails are arriving in the SmartZone email program on their server, Comcast says it's not their problem. Because my other 2 accts are still working fine, I think it is their problem. Anyone run into this before?

Any help will certainly be appreciated.

Bill

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Apr 2, 2010 10:48 AM

6 replies

Apr 2, 2010 10:01 PM in response to yourheartknows

Bill

I have same problem, but with a different ISP (not Comcast). I updated Mac software on April 1 at 10am central time (Security Update, iTunes, etc)--as prompted by built-in "Software Update," and now I do not receive emails from one of my accounts (another account was not affected). And NO email that I send (from Mail app) arrives at its destination.

I am able to both send and receive when using webmail.

Robert

Apr 3, 2010 4:04 AM in response to yourheartknows

Same thing happened to me after the updates too! Another strange coincidence occurred as well; after shutting down and starting up the next day, my machine refused to boot. I had to resort to opening it up and doing a PMU Reset. Mail has since refused to receive from Comcast but will send o.k. What the heck happened?

Seems ironic that all this occurred after the update the other day.

May 12, 2010 11:09 AM in response to Bill Boswell

Have you tried different port numbers? We're a small ISP in Northern California with a customer who has a Comcast Business account and for the 2nd time this year her mail from our domain is being blocked. She can't telnet out on any port. The last time this happened Comcast wouldn't work with us at all but the customer hammered them and suddenly a week later the so called nonexistent block was lifted.

Has anyone else had this experience and are there any ways around it?

May 12, 2010 3:11 PM in response to yourheartknows

I think I have the same problem with Cox providing internet and using Mail. Only having problem on LAPwhich is non intel. I update automatically. I can send email from Mail which shows up on other Macs in my house and on Webmail. So it has something to do with settings given to me by cox being reset by Apple, either Leopard bug or Mail problem. I saw one artcle saying to download the 10.5 update. Ie, revert to an older version of Leopard to solve problem. This was from a chat with APPLE. I did not want to pay for an apple tech event. As Mail is sent from the laptop to old G5, new Imac, and shows up on laptop's Webmail. The outgoing mail server gets an email saying it cannot send using port 110. The settings were previously port 25. authentication goess from none to POP(APOP) and the checkmark reappears in the box where my ISP has told me to remove it, re: ssl.

I have not solved the problem.The apple tech wrote that Apple is aware. But I don't know if I can update backwards. Any solutions? Rheta San Diego.

May 13, 2010 4:30 PM in response to Lynne Calder

re: Person with Comcast Business connection using an email address from another ISP not being able to send or receive mail.

Turns out there's a firewall in the Comcast modem that should be turned off, unless you request it be turned on. Apparently, electrical outages can cause the Comcast modem to turn on the firewall which will block a whole assortment of sites, in this case the isp where she had her email address. After figuring this out and having her specifically request they turn off her firewall Comcast did it from their office. Her Mail program then worked fine.

Sudden Trouble with Comcast and Apple Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.