Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

single click opens mail?

When I am using Mail and I click on a new mail item one time (intending to view it in the lower half of the panel) it opens in a new window? I do not want it to open the message in a new window unless I double click it. Which is what I would ordinarily expect and is how it works on my other mac book pro. I have not been able to figure out how to correct this. I have looked at the mouse settings (I am not using a mouse so none available) and trackpad settings (none seem to apply) as well as keyboard settings (again, none seem to apply) to no avail. Perhaps the clicker (selection bar? I am not sure what it is called) is broken? Thank you for any assistance you can provide. MACarmel!

Macbookpro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 4:59 AM

6 replies

Apr 5, 2010 1:30 PM in response to MACarmel

MACarmel wrote:
Actually it is not working normally.

I should have reworded my response to clarify that I meant "if the trackpad 'clicker' isn't physically or electrically broken in some way ..."

Interestingly, if you have your finger on the trackpad when you click it does not open another instance?

That is interesting, but I don't know how to explain it. Given the right settings, holding two fingers on the trackpad while clicking would cause a "secondary click", but I'm not sure what one finger is supposed to cause.

Do you have any other suggestions, thoughts on the topic?

Sorry, but no.

single click opens mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.