Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hyperlinking not supported in mobile version of Keynote

Apparently, hyperlinking (turning an object or text into a link to a URL or another slide) isn't supported in the iPad version of Keynote.

Any one have an idea on if it will be added in the future? Or, is there something in Apple's development rules that would prevent Apple from adding this in a future update?

Unfortunately, this is one of the reasons I bought the iPad... for creating interactive displays via Keynote, thinking such a basic function would be included in the mobile version of Keynote.

Message was edited by: David Ray1

Mac Mini C2D, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 4:13 PM

71 replies

Apr 3, 2010 5:14 PM in response to David Ray1

Update: Text URL hyperlinks work, but they're ugly (they show up as, for example "Test Hyperlink<http:www.apple.com/>"

Object URL hyperlinks don't seem to work, and links within the slideshow don't work.

If you create a text link to another slide in Keynote on the Mac, then import the file into the iPad, you get the error message:

"Only web and email links are supported. All others were removed."

Apr 4, 2010 8:30 AM in response to David Ray1

I also was hoping to be able to create links from objects to other slides. There is so much potential to create interactive presentations, but the software falls short of making it a reality. I would love to create presentations that allowed branching and then export them for viewing a keynote viewer. I had also hoped for the ability to embed video and audio. With a coupled of additions, keynote could be used as a simple authoring platform. I will continue to look for a workable solution.

Apr 4, 2010 10:23 AM in response to David Ray1

Was thinking about a hyperlink in a presentation on the iPad. Since the iPad doesn't allow more than one application to run at the same time, if you were presenting in Keynote on your iPad and happened to click on the hyperlink, either by mistake or on purpose, Keynote would be closed out and Safari opened to take you to your link. Then you go back to Keynote and you would have to start your presentation all over again. I would think disabling links in Keynote would be a lesser disruption, but that is me.

Apr 4, 2010 2:25 PM in response to David Ray1

I just thought of a possible work around, it's not ideal, but worth a try (since I live in New Zealand and don't have an ipad yet, it would be great if someone in the forum can try this out)

Try exporting the keynote presentation as a quicktime movie. In the export options menu, select "Hyperlinks Only". This will create a quicktime movie that has object hyperlinks built-in. Now we just need to import the quicktime movie into iPad, and play via iTunes to see if the hyperlinks work.

Message was edited by: ksun002

Apr 20, 2010 8:42 AM in response to David Ray1

I'll throw some more fuel on this fire. I grabbed the iPad version of Keynote thinking that I could import desktop presentations that include in-presentation hyperlinks only to find them stripped out. I had thought my firm could use this as a way to demo interactive wireframes (clicking on parts of a wireframe to go to specific screens) but without this (I would think) relatively simple feature it's pretty well useless.

Hyperlinking not supported in mobile version of Keynote

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.