Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch movie on iPad while downloading?

I'm downloading a rented movie on iTunes in my iPad. It seems like I can't start watching it till it's done. Is this true?

iPad 32 gb, Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 7:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 7:15 PM

Yes, from the iPad User Guide, page 93, "Rented movies won’t begin playing until the download completes."

Guess they want to insure there's no interruption in the download.

ivan
29 replies

Oct 11, 2010 2:08 PM in response to ivan54

I too have just discovered this 'intended consequence' whilst attempting to watch a rented film on my iPad. Why won't they let you begin watching before it's finished? I can half understand the comment, made above, regarding interruptions but I'm using a Wifi only enabled device - there's the same risk of interruptions if I rented the movie on iTunes on my Mac. iTunes on the Mac will allow me to begin watching before the movie is fully downloaded....what's the big difference with the iPad? I want to use my iPad to watch the movie because I can't rent in HD on the Mac.

Get it sorted please Apple - this is another problem that makes me regret moving to the Mac and buying an iPad! You will lose good loyal customers like this!

Mar 1, 2011 8:23 PM in response to epbrown01

You wont see it in iPad until it finishes downloading but on iMac and AppleTV it can be started right away. I too found this frustratingly stupid. Especially since as mentioned above one can't rent HD for certain films on iMac. Even more frustrating is that on my iPad it often takes hours to download a single movie!!! What's the point if I could drive to the red box, rent the movie, come home and watch it, and then return it and come back home, all before the iTunes version finishes downloading? VERY FRUSTRATINGUser uploaded file

Watch movie on iPad while downloading?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.