Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting Songs Form ipod to itunes on a mac?

Okay,

So up until recently, I had all of my songs on my pc. Until it got a virus andf most of the files were wiped. I can now only getaround half of the songs on my pc but everything is still on my ipod.

Since i havea macbook pro i thought it was about time i transferred all of my music onto that anyway but im wondering how i can get the songs from the ipod to the mac?

I would love it if anybody could tell me of any programs or anything that may come in handy.

Thanks 🙂

Posted on Apr 4, 2010 3:34 AM

3 replies

Apr 4, 2010 4:19 AM in response to hannah1991

iTunes will only give you the option to copy your iTunes Store purchases directly from an iPod to the computer, you'll find details in this article: Copying iTunes Store purchases from your iPod or iPhone to a computer

For everything else (music from CDs, other downloads etc) there are a number of third party utilities that you can use to retrieve the music files and playlists from your iPod. You can read reviews and comparisons of some of them here (you'll find that they have varying degrees of functionality and some will transfer movies, videos, photos and games as well):
iTunes & iPod software
Wired News - Rescue Your Stranded Tunes
Comparison of iPod managers

A selection of iPod to iTunes utilities:
Senuti Mac Only (iPod Touch & iPhone compatible)
expod Mac Only (iPod Touch & iPhone compatible)
PodView Mac Only
PodWorks Mac Only
TuneAid Mac only (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
YamiPod Mac & Windows
iPod Music Liberator Mac & Windows (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
iPodRip Mac & Windows (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
iPod Music Liberator Mac & Windows (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
iGadget Mac & Windows (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
Floola Mac & Windows
Music Rescue Mac & Windows (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
iRepo Mac & Windows (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
iPod Access Mac & Windows (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
TouchCopy Mac & Windows (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)

There's also a manual method of copying songs from your iPod to a Mac or PC. The procedure is a bit involved and won't recover playlists but if you're interested it's available on page 2 at this link: Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer - The Definitive Guide

I would also advise that you get yourself an external hard drive and back your stuff up, relying on an iPod as your sole backup is not a good idea and external drives are comparatively inexpensive these days, you can get loads of storage for a reasonable outlay: Back up your iTunes library by copying to an external hard drive

Apr 4, 2010 4:39 AM in response to hannah1991

*How do i know which mac os x thingy i have? i.e. 10.4 or whatever?*

Click on the Apple symbol on the bar at the top of your screen and choose "About this Mac"

*Also i aaume that this is the operating system maybe*

Yes, OS X is the Mac operating system, 10.4 (or .5 or .6) is the version. It will also have incremental revisions within each major version, 10.4.1, 10.4.2 etc.

You can get a version history at this link: Mac OS X

Getting Songs Form ipod to itunes on a mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.