Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iPad with Blackboard for Distance Education

Got my new iPad yesterday, UPS came about 4PM (I was expecing 7PM because of where I live, so I got it early)

I got 2, one for me, one for my wife. So far we really like them and see lots of use potential.

Only one thing I haven’t been able to do so far.

I teach a distance education course using Blackboard. everything I have tried to do in Blackboard in “Student Mode” has worked so far, I believe this device will be great for students in so many ways. Except...

When using the assignment facility of Blackboard I can not find a way to submit assignments. The assignment submission process requires that you “browse” your local filesystem to find files to upload. Well, I don’t think one can get to the local filesystem on the iPad.

Any ideas?

The only way I can think to allow students to submit assignments would be to allow them to submit via a regular email account (which can be problematic from a receiving and grading standpoint).

Thanks,

AndyD

iPad WiFI 16GB

Posted on Apr 4, 2010 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2017 7:20 AM

I downloaded onedrive and when I click "browse my computer" it shows the photo album options and then should show "more" and onedrive should be available. Just make sure to login to onedrive with your school email if you have one. I just did this yesterday. I have an iPad Pro.

10 replies

Apr 4, 2010 2:46 PM in response to AndyD

Andy,

I use blackboard for school as well. I just went and checked out a few of the submission areas and noticed the same thing you did.

One solution would be to have the assignments emailed to a computer that can upload to BlackBoard.
I realize that adds a step, but I've had similar issues at my school. The college's print server (and most of their IT staff) doesn't play nice with Macs, so when ever I need to print at school I upload a .pdf version to MobileMe and retrieve it from a campus computer.

That might not be a helpful work around for you, but it's an idea.

Apr 4, 2010 2:52 PM in response to AndyD

I didn't think about that. I am a student and I just went on blackboard for my school and I can't upload assignments to the page. But I know a way for students to still submit there assignments. You can use your email client, I set up my student account to my regular email on my Ipad and now I can send documents straight from the ipad through email to teachers.

Apr 4, 2010 8:42 PM in response to cokeicee

If I plan to support iPad (I do), may need to start accepting homework via an email account.
I'm thinking of setting up a Gmail account for each of my class sections.

Oh well this won't be a problem until the Fall semester for me. So there is some time, I just need to get on it.

Thanks for the replies,

AndaD

Jan 10, 2012 2:50 AM in response to AndyD

Has anyone found a workaround withing the Blackboard Mobile Learn app?

I just started using the iPad for school, and discovered this problem. Without being able to submit my assignments, the iPad becomes pretty much useless for Blackboard. It's nice that the app is so pretty and is light years easier to navigate than the PC version of Blackboard, but it MUST have assignment submit ability for it to truly be functional.

Jan 10, 2012 6:23 AM in response to rgray107918

I agree. The submit function is crucial for the app, but I don't think that it is that limiting. I can still access and do all my readings/etc... from the iPad. But, I had written an assignment in Pages on the iPad and it would be nice to have functionality to upload an assignment. As far as I know, there is no workaround for it and no better app to use to date.

Mar 2, 2013 7:01 AM in response to JayWV

Im a professor and the BB App has next to no finctionality for professors. BB in Safari and every browser I have tried is terrible. Trying to enter text in any text box is next to impossible. BB says it is Apple's fault. Don't know what Apple says.

All the submission problems also suggest one cannot teach online and travel with just the iPad so I'll have to take along my laptop everywhere I go. Hope they get this worked out soon.

Using iPad with Blackboard for Distance Education

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.