Those digital copies downloaded as part of a deal with a purchased DVD via iTunes are already authorized to be played on iPad, and they get formatted in the correct format when you select them to be synced to iPad... I also have several movies on iPhone that way and I just tried one on iPad and it works perfectly...
How to transfer Digital Copy Movies to iTunes
On a Mac with OSX Lion & iTunes 10 it is rather simple. No need to download other software. iTunes can do it for you.
Steps to transfer Movie to iTUnes and then iPod/iPad/iPhone
- Make sure you have iTunes 10
- Open iTunes
- Insert Digital copy movie disk into drive. It must be the disk labeled "Digital Copy"
- The movie will start playing in full screen mode. You want to minimize it to a smaller view on your desktop.
- Let the intro stuff on the disk playout
- You will then be presented with a Start Screen giving you different options (i.e., Set Up. Play, Scene Selection, & Digital Copy. Click Digital Copy
- It will then take you to a Digital Copy screen
- Click on the iTunes icon on your dock and launch back iTunes
- Digital Code redemption page should now apear. If it doesn't go to the left navigation pane and select "iTunes Store"
- It will ask for a redemption key. Enter the authorization code found on the authorization code that came with the disk.
- It takes approximately 6-10 minutes to transfer to iTunes.
- You can then "Sync" your device to transfer the movie to your favorite device.
Hope this helps.