Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Application Security. Missing?

I want to be able to enable parental controls to require a password to open mail, calendar, and contacts. I see how I can restrict Safari and iPod, but not much else.

Was this a major mi-sight by Apple?

I should be able to hand over my iPad to my 5 year old daughter to watch a movie without worrying that she is accidentally deleting my email, contacts, or calendar items.

MBP, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 4, 2010 10:38 PM

6 replies

Apr 5, 2010 2:41 AM in response to far182

far182 wrote:
Was this a major mi-sight by Apple?

No, its a reflection of the same level of security in the iPhone

I should be able to hand over my iPad to my 5 year old daughter to watch a movie without worrying that she is accidentally deleting my email, contacts, or calendar items.

Then send your good suggestion to Apple here http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Apr 5, 2010 4:02 AM in response to far182

far182 wrote:
I want to be able to enable parental controls to require a password to open mail, calendar, and contacts. I see how I can restrict Safari and iPod, but not much else.

Send feedback - http://apple.com/feedback

If she is deleting stuff then she's not old enough to be trusted with the device.

Apr 5, 2010 10:19 AM in response to far182

Tsk Tsk. Just what we need - people giving advice on how to raise their children in an Apple forum.

I do agree and I have submitted feedback as well. With iPhone it's a rather personal piece of equipment and only I access my mail. It's an entirely different situation with iPad, which is now happily shared by our family. I'm quite sure my daughter doesn't want me accessing her gmail account any more than I want her accessing my AOL account.

There should be that level of personal security.

Apr 6, 2010 2:01 PM in response to KLOS

Here is what I sent to apple ( http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html):

"+At my company we are very excited at the iPad and how it can improve our workflow. Like many others I have talked to, I plan to use the iPad for work and home (play).+

+One feature that I found that is glaringly missing is the ability to password protect mail, calendar, and contacts. Let me give you a use case example:+

+I have my iPad that I use for my work email, calendar, and contacts. Also, I have music, movies, and children's apps on my iPad. Lets say I take my family on a road trip and I want to play a movie on my iPad and give it to my 5 year old daughter. What is preventing my daughter from accidentally opening my email and deleting mail. Same thing for calendar and contacts.+

+What I envision is a parental security feature where I can password protect any application of my choosing on the iPad. Also, it would be great if there was a simple "toggle" icon I could press to turn this on and off.+

+Thank you for your consideration.+"

Application Security. Missing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.