Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is iPad any less secure on my corporate network than an iPhone?

I and a number of people at my are now using iPhones on our corporate network as follows:
- using the corporate wifi network for internet access
- accessing email accounts on the exchange server using the standard iPhone email application.

All of the computers in the company are part of a windows domain and none of the iPhones are members of the domain or are using any windows services, shares, etc. Nor are they using VPN.

I have just purchased an iPad and configured it to use exactly these same 2 services. Now my network administrator is telling me that because it's a "computer", I can't have it on the corporate wifi network because it presents different security risks than an iPhone and may have "open shares". I have tried telling him that it runs exactly the same OS as an iPhone and that all I am doing is using the wifi to connect to the internet.

I have not jailbroken my iPhone and don't intend to jailbreak the iPad. I have the iPhone set up with a passcode and configured to erase all data after 10 failed attempts. I also have find my iPad set up with MobileMe to remotely wipe its data if it is lost or stolen.

How can I reassure him that having a non-jailbroken iPad on the corporate wifi network presents no more security risks than an iPhone and cannot transmit any viruses to networked PCs and can't access any corporate shares or data?

HELP!!!!

Mac Mini; IPhone 3GS, iPad 64GB, Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on Apr 5, 2010 1:56 PM

8 replies

Apr 6, 2010 8:26 AM in response to dmweinst

Not to mention, apparently your Tech admin is simply living under a rock if he/she doesn't have an absolute cognizance of what the iPad is, and what impact it will have on the tech world in general, nevermind corporate considerations.

Whoever said the iPad isnt a computer is wrong... ANYTHING with a microprocessor is technically a "computer", a calculator is, an iPhone is, a laptop is, a nokia is, and the list goes on and on and on. With THAT said, an iPad/iPod/iPhone has absolutely no ability to join a domain or otherwise be any less secure.

I think you and your company should re-evaluate the efficacy of your "IT Guy" and his technical savvy in general.

Apr 8, 2010 7:19 PM in response to AlphaBetaOne

I'm having the same issue. One of our guys sent me an email saying I may be booted off soon. Is there any way I could make it so my iPad appears like any other iPhone which is allowed? Without jail breaking it? I just don't have the time, or the clout to fight it out and explain. With my Mac, then my iPod touch, then my iPhone before they allowed official use of it, to now my iPad, I am always having to be sneaky to use (at no cost to them) my own equipment making me one of the most efficient people in my role, while everyone else is stuck in Windows ****.

Apr 19, 2010 7:46 PM in response to drahardja

Speaking as a veteran of IT for more than 20 years: Don't trust until verified. The IPAD has not been tested in a corporate environment. People should be thankful that the IT gatekeepers keep the data safe and don't allow the latest trend to hit their networks without due diligence.

I'd like nothing more than to use my IPAD in a corporate environment, but without testing and documentation (not to mention apps), I wouldn't let it on the network either.

Don't worry they are not the only ones
Princeton and George Washington University also ban IPADs on their networks:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/igeneration/?p=4683
http://everythingipad.com/george-washington-and-princeton-university-ban-the-ipa d-995

Even Israel has banned the IPAD:
http://everythingipad.com/ipad-being-blocked-from-israel-970

But don't despair, I'm sure once preliminary testing has occurred the institutions and the country will bend and find nothing wrong it.

Until then let's have fun with it and build secure data management applications.

Is iPad any less secure on my corporate network than an iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.