Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WAV files and ID3 Tag Info Trouble

Over the years I’ve accumulated approximately 1,400 music CDs. I would like to rip all of them into uncompressed WAV format and then convert them if/as needed into an alternate format.

To this point, I’ve used iTunes to rip 333 CDs which equates to 2,949 songs and 116GB of data. I thought it would eat more harddrive space than that, but that's where things are at. I have 4 terrabytes, so space isn't a problem.

When I rip a CD into WAV format and look at my iTunes library, it appears that all the tag information is saved (artist, track name, album, etc.). However, this information isn’t being saved in the actual CD folder. The only thing showing is the track title preceded by the track number (looks like “01 TrackName”). If I erase my iTunes library and attempt to repopulate it, the only information loaded into iTunes is the track number/name under the iTunes Name heading. There is no artist name, album, etc. This present a host of problems.

If I convert the WAV file to some other format, iTunes moves the original folder to an “unknown artist” folder and also changes the name of the folder to “unknown.” Obviously, this is another major problem. If I convert a CD ripped into WAV format to an MP3 file or some other format and then search for album info, iTunes tells me it can't get the album info because I didn't import the song in MP3 or some other format (converting is different than importing).

If I use Windows Media Player (which I'm not crazy about) to rip a CD into WAV format, all of the tag info is in the folder. However, when I import this into iTunes, it doesn't recognize the information. iTunes simply imports that track title under the Name heading. If I use WMP to rip a CD into MP3 format and then import into iTunes, all of the track data is imported into iTunes.

I can’t find anything under iTunes Help which indicates ripping CDs into WAV format would be any sort of problem. The only issue noted concerns album artwork. iTunes Help states that a song must be converted from WAV format into any other format before album artwork can be downloaded. However, this can’t be done since iTunes isn’t saving the tag info when ripping into WAV format. If I convert a track from WAV to MP3 or something else, iTunes can't find the album artwork w/out all of the tag info.

What’s the problem? Do I have an incorrect setting? Is iTunes simply incapable of saving tag info when ripping into WAV format?

HP, Windows 7

Posted on Apr 5, 2010 7:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2010 8:34 PM

However, this can’t be done since iTunes isn’t saving the tag info when ripping into WAV format WAV does not have tags. You can thank MS for that. (It's their format)

RIP the CDs to AIFF or Apple Lossless, which do have tags.
4 replies

Apr 6, 2010 1:15 AM in response to JGthatsme

+When I rip a CD into WAV format and look at my iTunes library, it appears that all the tag information is saved (artist, track name, album, etc.). However, this information isn’t being saved in the actual CD folder.+

It's stored in a proprietary database file named iTunes Library.itl. When you erase your itunes library you erase that info. That's how itunes works.
WMP also has a database file and I suspect some of the info is stored there, and not just in the folder with the file.

Apr 6, 2010 4:43 AM in response to JGthatsme

If you really want to use WAV format, it is essential that the filename include the relevant information, which at a minimun means artist and title. Otherwise, for reasons that have been explained, you will lose this information when the file is used elsewhere.

iTunes does not have that capability, so you must either use a different ripping tool for your project, or else adopt a lossless format with tags, such as AIFF.

Apr 6, 2010 5:25 AM in response to JGthatsme

As stated .wav files don't have a tag. When iTunes creates them it will put them in ...\<Artist>\<Album>\## <Name>.<ext> format but on import it will read the whole filename, including the track no., as the track name, ignoring the values of the two parent folders.

Provided you have "Keep iTunes Media folder organinsed" and "Copy to iTunes Media folder when adding" turned off then, after import, the values can be recreated using a script I have written called TagFromFilename. Select a bunch of recently imported wav files and run the script and it will go through each in turn, filling in the album, artist, album artist, track number & track name values from the path details. It probably won't apply in your case, but for compilation albums I use the naming convention of ## <Name> - <Artist> and the script will also attempt to identify such files, otherwise setting both Artist & Album Artist to the value of the "parent" folder of the album. You should be able to comment out the relevant lines if they cause you any trouble. It also can't repair any characters that iTunes had to replace since they're not allowed in filenames, nor can it rebuild truncated values. iTunes trims file & folder names to a max. of around 35 characters which is one of the reasons I prefer to manage these manually or via MediaMonkey.

As ever, please back up your library and test the script on a few sample files until you are satisfied that it works as you expect.

tt2

WAV files and ID3 Tag Info Trouble

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.