Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Projector and VGA adapter -- Teaching with the iPad

Folks,

I tested the iPad at my college today, and found that the only apps that connect and display (with the VGA connector) on the projector are the Keynote App and the Youtube app. This presents an issue, since I routinely carry my Mac to class in order to show movies, TV shows, and of course Keynote presentations to my students. Literally, not even the home screen icons show up on the projector -- only Keynote and Youtube (not even Pages or Safari, which are great for examples in class). Clearly, the technology is there, but it has yet to be implemented.

Does anyone know if there is anything in the works (ro some type of work-around) to allow movies and TV shows on the projector; otherwise, it looks like I will have to continue lugging the 6-pound MBP. This would be a real shame, since the iPad is an absolute dream come true for any rpofessor.

Your Responses are Appreciated,
Jesus

MBP; PB G4 15; iBook 12 (and many 'ancient' Macs), Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Apr 6, 2010 12:02 AM

5 replies

Apr 6, 2010 2:52 AM in response to MacJojo

MacJojo wrote:
I tested the iPad at my college today, and found that the only apps that connect and display (with the VGA connector) on the projector are the Keynote App and the Youtube app.

There are a couple of other posts from teachers on the same subject - sadly this is as advertised.

Does anyone know if there is anything in the works (ro some type of work-around) to allow movies and TV shows on the projector;

Only Apple know - all else is speculation and rumour, as Apple never release such information. Its pretty unlikely for DRM reasons though - otherwise peopel could be downloading HD content and using the iPad in place of an authorised HD player. But you never know ....

May 12, 2010 9:56 AM in response to MacJojo

Have you checked out Expedition-The VGA out browser for the iPad? You can use it display a web browser on an external display (ie Projector, LCD, TV). Great if you have to do a presentation and need to show a web page or you can even use for Google Apps presentations.

It also has the capability to show Html5 video on the external display.

Here's a link to a video of it in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUn4ryLUZFA

And here it is in the AppStore
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/expedition-the-vga-out-web/id369305234?mt=8

Jun 17, 2010 10:36 AM in response to Eric Beyer

It's a frustration.

Send feedback here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

I see no real reason they could not implement full mirroring in a future OS version, and I assume this was what happening when the device was announce and playing back on screen in use.

Currently only software enabled apps that use the relevant programming interfaces can use video out. I'd far rather a global setting to allow it for any app and home page interactions, or disable as appropriate.

AC

Projector and VGA adapter -- Teaching with the iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.