Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Greek Letters and Superscript

Is it possible to insert a greek character into pages on the ipad? When I import an office doc containing a greek character, the greek character is present. Also, is it possible to superscript and subscript in pages on the ipad?

IPAD, iPhone OS 3.1.3

Posted on Apr 6, 2010 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2010 10:10 PM

I doubt there is any need for other apps, or copy and paste, to enter Greek letters. While the iPad is not available in my country yet, from experience with the iPhone, you should be able to type foreign languages directly into any application. On the iPhone this is how you enable the Greek keyboard: tap Settings, tap General, tap Keyboards, tap International keyboards, slide Greek to on. Then, when typing text, if you want to type a Greek letter, click the icon of a globe that switches between languages. After typing the letters you need, click the globe again to switch back to English.
22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2010 10:10 PM in response to kitzj0

I doubt there is any need for other apps, or copy and paste, to enter Greek letters. While the iPad is not available in my country yet, from experience with the iPhone, you should be able to type foreign languages directly into any application. On the iPhone this is how you enable the Greek keyboard: tap Settings, tap General, tap Keyboards, tap International keyboards, slide Greek to on. Then, when typing text, if you want to type a Greek letter, click the icon of a globe that switches between languages. After typing the letters you need, click the globe again to switch back to English.

Apr 8, 2010 6:16 AM in response to Ralmin

I doubt there is any need for other apps, or copy and paste, to enter Greek letters. While the iPad is not available in my country yet, from experience with the iPhone, you should be able to type foreign languages directly into any application.

Unfortunately your experience is not of any value in this case. If you read the tech specs for the ipad, you can see that Greek and about 2 dozen other keyboards found in the iphone are not yet included. So there is no way to type Greek directly into an app.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Jan 10, 2011 3:45 PM in response to kitzj0

I am still struggling to find out how to do superscript and subscript on the iPad. But i am able to use greek letters by enabling the international keyboard:
setting --> general --> keyboard --> international keyboard --> add international keyboard --> Greek
now back out and bring up pages.
select the globe icon on the lower left between numbers and space, to bring up the greek characters.
hit the globe again to return to english.
hopefully this works out for ya.

Aug 4, 2012 10:46 PM in response to kitzj0

I know this is an old thread but it's still the top result in google for this problem so I'm posting here.

I had been copy/pasting greek letters & other symbols for a long time before I realised this trick today.

Use the iPad's shortcuts feature in keyboard settings for any symbols you use regularly, eg I use "ss2" as a shortcut for 2 and "/-" for ±, still a work around but alot smoother than what I've been doing for over a year with the added bonus of working in any app.

Combined with the greek intl keyboard this is barely a problem, even if it is a glaring omission by apple.

Apr 4, 2014 12:36 PM in response to kitzj0

I just had need for Greek letters so just added Greek to my iPad then switched keyboard between English & Greek. I also sometimes use German to send some letters (eg ü ö = etc) that need umlauts. I recently had added emoji to my iPhone and now iPad instead typing :-) to get a smiley face. Very easy & handy.

IanMacDavid from my iPad as iMac keeps crashing.

Greek Letters and Superscript

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.