Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't log in to online banking

I just updated to 10.6.3 and now I can't log in to my bank's website using Safari 4.0.5 on my MacBook Pro. It just keeps going in a loop eventually telling me I'm timed out. I can log in from a different computer using 4.0.5 and 10.6.3 on my Mac Pro and I CAN also log in using Firefox 3.0.16 on the MacBook Pro, no problem.. W T F ???

I have cleared the cache, removed all associated cookies. I can't think of anything else... Maybe there is a plist I can delete? I've used Safari for years to log in to my bank without issue until today.

Anyone got any ideas here?

Mac Pro 2x3Ghz, MacBook Pro 2.33 Ghz, iMac Alu 2.4Ghz, iMac 1.83Ghz, Mac OS X (10.6.3), iPhone 3G 3.1.3 PPC XServe 2x2 Ghz 10.4.11, Intel Xserve 8x2.8 Ghz 10.5.8

Posted on Apr 6, 2010 10:58 AM

5 replies

Apr 12, 2010 3:57 PM in response to Andy Fragen

Hi Andy,

There are some banking institutions' browsers that do not allow for username/password data that's stored on the users hard drive such as the Mac's Keychain Access. They require you login each time. Also, most banking sites are more geared for Windows Internet Explorer than the Mac's Safari.

I for one would rather take the time to login manually (which I do for 2 investment sites on Safari) than be concerned over security using Internet Explorer any day but that's just me.

Carolyn 🙂

Apr 6, 2010 11:49 AM in response to Looter

HI,

From the Safari Menu Bar click Safari/Preferences then select the Autofill tab. Click the Edit button next to: Other forms. Delete your bank website then click Done.

Relaunch Safari... if you still have problems...

Launch Keychain Access (Applications/Utilties)

Select Passwords on the left. Delete your bank keychain on the right. Quit Keychain Access.

In Safari navigate to your bank website, login with your username and password. When prompted click: Always Allow.

If necessary, you can trash the Safari .plist file. Go to the Safari Menu Bar, click Safari/Preferences. Make note of all the preferences under each tab. Quit Safari. Now go to ~/Library/Preferences and move this file com.apple.safari.plist to the Desktop. Relaunch Safari. If it's a successful launch, then that .plist file needs to be moved to the Trash.

Carolyn 🙂

Apr 12, 2010 3:46 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Same problem with Union Bank website. Seemed to work fine before. I now have 10.6.3 and Safari 4.0.5(6531.22.7). Site loads in Firefox.

Customer support at the bank says someone at Safari? told them it was a problem with Safari. They suggested I get the newer version of Safari which, someone there said works. I don't know what there smoking over there but I believe that I'm using the most current version.

They seemed to indicate that someone at Apple is aware of the problem and that they are "working on it". This seems to indicate that the bank claims no culpability. I've not heard of this problem anywhere else and doubt that Apple knows about it or has accepted responsibility for fixing it.

I've tried the above mentioned steps to no avail. Any other ideas?

Apr 12, 2010 4:06 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn,

I use 1Password so storing username/password data is not an issue. I used to be able to login with Safari, maybe up until a month ago. Now no more. Firefox still works.

I did find on the bank's site...

3.2 Compatible browsers for Macintosh:

Mozilla Firefox (currently the optimal choice for our site)
For OS X: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.2.3 with 128-bit encryption
The Macintosh SafariTM browser is not compatible with our site
Macintosh users are supported on a best-effort basis

Just peachy. Thanks, but I don't really think they care to address the issue. 😟

Apr 12, 2010 4:11 PM in response to Andy Fragen

Some banks are notoriously uncaring and lazy about what systems and browsers they support.

Try reading these threads:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1893522&tstart=0

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1831414&tstart=175

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1828195&tstart=200

As it says in this document:

http://developer.apple.com/internet/safari/

"Safari complies with standards, but not all browsers do. This article explains how to design, modify and validate your website so that it can be rendered and read properly by all major browsers."

The bank/s need to read this:

"Safari is one of the most standards-compliant browsers ever built. Thus, your best bet for ensuring your pages render properly in Safari — today’s version and beyond — is to follow web standards. For a great overview of web standards, check out Mozilla.org’s article Using Web Standards in Your Web Pages."

Can't log in to online banking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.