Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After a very frustrating day with no wi-fi, I FINALLY FOUND A SOLUTION...

My employer also provides wi-fi login via a portal on the web. I purchased my iPad yesterday and was able to connect with no problems, even if only for a few minutes.

Today, I almost lost it... Trying to get this thing to work all day. Needless to say, it was a very unproductive day.
I read many posts on this forum and have to say that I feel your pain... Or should I say, I felt it, as I too was locked out of my network.

All day, I have been attempting to connect via the "Apple recommended method": Settings > Wi-Fi > tap on my network name on "Choose a Network" > etc > etc... I tried everything, and nothing worked.

Until about 10 minutes ago, when I wondered what would happen if I simply pointed the browser to a web page. Somewhere accessible (given the right circumstances). I used www.google.com (but it could have been www.salesforce.com... or whatever!).

And VOILÀ!!! The authentication page came up (I wasn't excited yet, as I was getting that to freeze every time until now)... *AND IT WORKED!!!*

I hope this works for all of you out there, too. Or at least for most of you. I know how painful it is to just get a brand new toy, after so much expectation, and have it go broken on me (Steve Jobs got called many names today).

So, after making sure that Wi-Fi is turned on in the Settings > Wi-Fi page, *STOP RIGHT THERE...* Because the application immediately finds the network we want to connect to, it's natural for anyone to just tap on that (SSID) name and try to go from there (as Apple's own site tells us to...).

Instead, after ebnabling Wi-Fi, press the home button and open Safari. Go to any public site and, if you are as lucky as I was, after going passed the authentication page, YOU WILL BE IN!

Good luck!

skyandre

iPad, iPhone OS 3.1.3

Posted on Apr 6, 2010 6:23 PM

14 replies

Apr 6, 2010 9:33 PM in response to skyandre

See, I've been trying to do this same thing -- though I haven't had any luck.

I've been attempting to log onto my school's wireless network. I get to the log on page, type in the goods, and nothing. It just sits there. Every few times it will lock up (to the extent that the page won't scroll; links won't work, etc.), but for the most part it just doesn't get past the log on.

I've tried it through the Safari app, other web-connected apps and the General Settings menu.

Apr 27, 2010 2:09 PM in response to Dick Lanman

I'm having the same problem and the solution of just starting the web browser won't work. Every time I try to log in to the university WiFi through the authentication page the iPad brings up a login page that freezes after I submit my user id and password. At least with PC products I can use the WiFi. First Apple product I've bought and I'll never buy another.

Apr 29, 2010 2:26 PM in response to dubgiant90

dubgiant90 wrote:
Where did u find this information out?

I didn't "find" it anywhere. I read the postings and made an educated guess about where the problem lies. Since WiFi connectivity is not an issue here, nor is DHCP, the problem lies in the web authentication protocols used by those enterprise-level networks. The only way you will ever figure it out is by talking to the network admins. They will troubleshoot it, hopefully identify the cause, and submit a bug report to either Apple or whomever makes their authentication software.

Did apple release an official statement?

No. This issue likely has nothing whatsoever to do with Apple.

Apr 30, 2010 3:06 PM in response to etresoft

etresoft wrote:
dubgiant90 wrote:
Where did u find this information out?

I didn't "find" it anywhere. I read the postings and made an educated guess about where the problem lies. Since WiFi connectivity is not an issue here, nor is DHCP, the problem lies in the web authentication protocols used by those enterprise-level networks. The only way you will ever figure it out is by talking to the network admins. They will troubleshoot it, hopefully identify the cause, and submit a bug report to either Apple or whomever makes their authentication software.

Did apple release an official statement?

No. This issue likely has nothing whatsoever to do with Apple.

Oh.. just wondering. Cause my macbook and iPhone both work on the network but the iPad didn't. So i assumed it was something wrong with the iPad. I did contact the administration and I they took note of it but I didn't really know what to say other than my iPad freezes up. I don't think they take me seriously.

Apr 30, 2010 3:44 PM in response to dubgiant90

dubgiant90 wrote:
Oh.. just wondering. Cause my macbook and iPhone both work on the network but the iPad didn't. So i assumed it was something wrong with the iPad. I did contact the administration and I they took note of it but I didn't really know what to say other than my iPad freezes up. I don't think they take me seriously.

You should take it physically to the help desk. I'm sure they would be happy to look at it. If you are getting a valid network connection, valid DHCP, and then a lockup during a browser authentication, they should be able to debug it right there - or at least have you talk to one of the senior engineers, who would probably also like to take a look. We iPad owners have a rare window of hip geekness right now. You should take advantage of that. Go to a party and whip out the iPad and you'll be the most popular person there. I expect you would get a similar reaction from any decent network services office too.

May 2, 2010 8:17 PM in response to etresoft

I very much believe the problem resides in the iPad. I am currently on travel and was able to log into the hotel's wifii (LeapNetworks)with both my laptop and my iPhone sucessfully. Unfortunately, I have been trying half the night to do the same with my iPad - no success. This is not just this hotel. I had the same issue last Thursday at Reagan Airport. As pointed out in previous posts, I'm able to connect to the network but unable to get past the security screen. The problem is not consistent as the iPad worked as advertised at the Marriott hotel I stayed in last week. So far I'm tempted to return this thing to apple. Especially if they are not admitting a problem and talking about a fix.
JC

May 3, 2010 4:18 AM in response to JoeCooke

Same here. Bought the ipad as a travel replacement for my laptop. So far, my first two hotel stays have proven impossible to to connect. Cant get through the login screen. Just locks up. My Air logs on seamlessly.
And the original posters solution of going through safari isnt working either.

If I take this to the macstore, is that even worth it? Is this a software fix we need to wait for? Calling some random helpdesk at RoomLinx - who doesnt have a helpdesk for regular customers - isnt going to work.
Is there a browser app like firefox that I can try?

Jan 14, 2014 12:30 PM in response to skyandre

Hi All,

Firstly, thanks to all for the community support and trying to help. I have tried every idea on this thread and still cannot connevt my iphone5 or Ipad mini to the hotel network. The post about forget network combined with allow pop-ups did invoke the possibility to enter password but did not allow me to enter the user ID and PW issued by hotel reception.

3 hours later, still not able to access the network in this hotel...time to change hotels I think :-(

After a very frustrating day with no wi-fi, I FINALLY FOUND A SOLUTION...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.