Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS9 Scrapbook files

I have a G4 Dual boot iMac (boots in OS 9 and X). There are 3 Scrapbooks in OS 9 that I want to get the graphics to use in X. Where are the scrapbook files kept so I can copy and use them OS X?

Is there an easy way to enable the graphics for use in X?

janesprando

G4 iMac dual boot OS 9 and X, Mac OS 9.2.x, 10.4.11

Posted on Apr 6, 2010 7:44 PM

6 replies

Apr 6, 2010 9:22 PM in response to janesprando

Hi, janesprando -

Welcome to Apple's Discussions.

There is only one file available to Scrapbook at a time in OS 9. It is named (oddly enough) Scrapbook File and can be found loose in the System Folder. There can be more than one Scrapbook File, but each would need to be swapped out in turn with the one in the System Folder in order for Scrapbook to recognize it.

I don't know of a program that can extract items (images, text, etc., each a separate page) from the Scrapbook File. The way to retrieve an item is to open Scrapbook from the Apple menu, which automatically selects the file named Scrapbook File in the System Folder. Go to the page you want to extract; with it visible, select Copy from the Edit menu. This places the item on the invisible Clipboard. You can then paste the item into an appropriate document.

A word processor document is a good choice to copy an item into, because it can then be selected and dragged out onto the desktop as a stand-alone clipping.

Apr 8, 2010 3:38 PM in response to janesprando

[Lemkesoft’s +Graphic Converter X+|http://www.lemkesoft.com/content/188/graphicconverter.html], of which a free trial version comes pre-installed on many Macs (or used to at least), can extract images from a Scrapbook File. Choose the “PICT Resource” filter when navigating to the file; it should open as a listing-window which you can browse for the image to extract. Once captured it can be saved in any of the wide variety of raster formats the app supports.

Apr 8, 2010 9:31 PM in response to Odysseus1479

Hi, Odysseus1479 -

Thanks. I don't have Graphic Converter X since I don't use OS 9, but I tried using the OS 9 version of GC and it, too, could open the Scrapbook file. It listed, and could extract, the image files in Scrapbook, but not the text or sound files.

Given that text files are easily replicated manually (unless they are very complex and long), that should not be a problem.

Following the thought line of using GC, I tried using Sound Extractor to grab the sound files from the Scrapbook file - and it worked fine.

In case janesprado needs sources for those two programs -

Graphic Converter - Graphic Converter download page
- for the OS 9 version click the link lower on the page for Older versions
- Note - GC is one of those utility apps that is well worth the small price asked for it. It has a tremendous set of features.

Sound Extractor - http://www.riccisoft.com/files/soundextractor-131.hqx
- this is OS 9 only, and is a direct download link, file size about 100MB

Apr 13, 2010 9:34 AM in response to Odysseus1479

Thanks for the suggestion to use Graphic Converter. I have 4 Scrapbooks for OS9 and was able to extract all the graphics and saved them as .jpgs. The best thing about using GC was that each .jpg has a thumbnail and I can see exactly which graphic will work best!

Now I have to decide if I want to buy Graphic Converter or stick to Preview. I have Photoshop Elements, too, but it is too "wieldy" sometimes. Will Preview open the thumbnails as easily as Graphic Converter?

Jane

OS9 Scrapbook files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.