Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing Different Apps to iPhone and IPad

I sync both my iPhone and iPad through iTunes on my desktop. The way they sync is that iPad apps only go to the iPad, but iPhone apps go to both. I would like to sync iPad apps to the iPad and some, but not all, iPhone apps. Is there a way to sync different apps to each device?

Thanks

MacBook Air, iMac 27" i7, Mac OS X (10.6.2), iPhone 3GS, iPad

Posted on Apr 7, 2010 6:26 AM

10 replies

Apr 7, 2010 6:53 AM in response to johnapd1

Yes.

Each device can have its own sync preferences with iTunes with your selections under the various tabs for the sync preferences with each device saved with each device.

Under the Apps tab for each device, select the apps you want transferred to the device. This also allows for deleting an app from a device. To delete an app that has already been installed, deselect the app under the Apps tab followed by a sync. To re-install an app, reselect the app under the Apps tab followed by a sync.

Apr 9, 2010 11:38 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Hello. I have the same problem. I have selected only the iPad apps but the next time I connect, I'm back to square one. iTunes is not remember the different set ups. I've had to wipe and re-sync several times because of this. I realize I could create two separate libraries but what a pain that would be. Has anyone solved this? I run disk utility and keychain preference first aid in the off change that would help. No go.

Jun 21, 2010 3:24 PM in response to reademandweep

I have a question. I just got a new ipad. However, I have had an itouch for a long time and have many itouch apps in my itunes library.

I just connected the ipad for the first time since I started downloading apps on it. I see the ipad picture to the right. If I check "Sync applications", it says "all existing apps and their data on the ipad will be replaced with apps from this library". Does this mean I will lose the ipad specific apps I just bought/downloaded directly from the app store to my ipad?

I know you can use itouch apps on the ipad, but I am afraid this first sync will cause me to lose stuff.

help!!

thanks.
chris

Jun 21, 2010 3:37 PM in response to BusyChris18

It sounds like you activate/synced your iPad on another computer already. An iPad (and other devices) can only be synced to one computer. Therefore, if you since to your computer you will lose all your apps, and more importantly, all the information associated with those apps. You can get the apps back by just re-downloading them. You will not be charged again as long as you use the same iTunes account you used the first time.

BusyChris18 wrote:
I have a question. I just got a new ipad. However, I have had an itouch for a long time and have many itouch apps in my itunes library.

I just connected the ipad for the first time since I started downloading apps on it. I see the ipad picture to the right. If I check "Sync applications", it says "all existing apps and their data on the ipad will be replaced with apps from this library". Does this mean I will lose the ipad specific apps I just bought/downloaded directly from the app store to my ipad?

I know you can use itouch apps on the ipad, but I am afraid this first sync will cause me to lose stuff.

help!!

thanks.
chris

Jun 21, 2010 4:53 PM in response to BusyChris18

On the computer you want to always since to, log into you iTunes account and re-download the app you previously downloaded. You will not be charged again. The receipt will show $0.00 for them. Add the songs and other things you want to iTunes to. Then connect you iPad to your computer and sync it. If it says it will delete everything from your iPad say yes.

Jun 21, 2010 5:11 PM in response to lllaass

Ok. So I need to download the ipad apps to my itunes on my computer that I want to sync from. Then I connect the ipad and go to Apps tab. From here I click that I want to sync apps...it will give me that warning which I ignore. Then I pick the ipad apps I want on the ipad and sync. Is this right? Then I will be able to sync with the ipad in the future like I always used to do with my itouch? It will work the same way?

That brings up one last question. If I do this, when I connect my itouch, it will be like always right? I will see my screens and be able to sync whatever apps i want on to it?

thanks for your patience and continued help! I really appreciate it.

chris

Jun 23, 2010 11:15 AM in response to johnapd1

I think what it really boils down to is that Apple needs to start investing into a smarter Itunes interface. It's actaully no longer about Tunes. Perhaps a separate sync tool specifically for the iPad, iPhone & iTouch. I'm having the same issue with both my iPhone & iPad & 2 separate laptops. Wake up Apple and listen to the interface complaints your customers are really having.

May 3, 2011 9:21 AM in response to johnapd1

It's so disappointing. I thought it's only me having the problem and I thought I could find an answer here. Easiest way to do it here, is to have a whole library of what I've downloaded since day 1. Then drag the necessary apps to iPhone/iPad/iPod based on UDID, instead of the kind of app. This is really frustrating. I'm not gonna sync my iPad2 from cuz it's probably gonna be my iPhone + iPad's trashes, it would be easier to start fresh. Seriously, no solutions?

Syncing Different Apps to iPhone and IPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.