Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iweb

why doesnt iweb save incremental changes made to welcome page such as deleting old graphic and inserting new graphic? this includes new graphic file not being saved to welcome file and old file remaining also any text changes do not save?

imac, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Apr 7, 2010 6:17 AM

7 replies

Apr 7, 2010 12:11 PM in response to Old Toad

I have to publish using iweb SEO tool because i use google analytics code and cant use an html editor to write code without screwing up the welcome page on fatcow i was able to upload new graphics file to fatcow and alter html so it opens the new file but it limits me. any major change to html using an editor ruins the iweb welcome page and i have to start over. I thought iweb was able to save these changes to file and then i use iweb SEO tool to publish the file after inserting google analytics code? isnt saving to file the same as publishing to fatcow?

Apr 7, 2010 12:54 PM in response to forsty

Yes, saving does not get the changes to your web site. It only saves the changes in the domain fil. The site and it's changes must be published in order for the changes to be made to the actual site. Are you now able to get the changes online?

I suggest that after applying the SEO changes you use the free Cyberduck ftp client instead of SEO. It's considered to be a better ftp client by most.

Apr 9, 2010 6:12 AM in response to Old Toad

everything is working again with iweb doing incremental changes and publishing to file not saving to file. a question regarding domain fil what is the purpose of iweb saving to it and were is it located and does iweb use it for anything important. I will try Cyberduck although i have had no problem with uploads using SEO. Is there any html editor that can be used with iweb code that wont ruin the pages after editing? Also looking for a good graphics editor for the imac any suggestions.
Thanks again for the help i am a pc user but I like iweb its so easy to do web pages with graphics, so i set my imac to dual boot windows 7 64 bit and have the best of both worlds. Sometimes the imac hangs on startup with a cant read from disk error or sometimes it just hangs and i have to restart i dont think its serious and it only happens occasionally and will startup after reboot.

Apr 9, 2010 10:51 AM in response to forsty

does iweb use it for anything important.

The domain file IS your site. Everything iWeb uses to create the site when it publishes it is in the domain file. Photos that you add to the site are copied into the domain file. You lose it and you lose the site so be sure to have a current backup of the site, i.e. after every change you make.

You could use an HTML editor to modify a published iWeb page but there is a chance you could mess up the page since iWeb uses javascript a lot in it's creation. Also iWeb wouldn't know about the changes and will overwrite them if you use iWeb to make additional changes. So the answer is yes but don't do it.

If SEO is working for you then go ahead and continue. Just be on the lookout for problems and if they come up give Cyberduck a chance.

If you startup problems are occuring when you boot into OS X try booting into Safe Mode, shut down and reboot normally. See if that will help. Safe Boot will run repair scripts during it's process and might fix what's causing the problem. If that doesn't help ask in the Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard or iMac forums.

iweb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.