Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Premature halting of tape import

Hi:
I'm importing old Hi-8 movies into i-Movie 9 using a Canopus ADVC-300. In general, this works well with one annoyance. A lot of my old tapes have inter scene bursts of static or "grey noise" where the camera was either turned off or the tape was removed. i-Movie interprets these as the end of the tape and stops importing. The Camera, of course, knows nothing about this and merrily plays through to the end which leaves me to rewind back to the spot that it stopped and start importing again. This means that I have to babysit all of my tapes.

Earlier work using i-Movie 06 did not do this.

Does anyone know how to turn this feature off?

Thanks in advance

3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 27" iMAC, Mac OS X (10.6.2), 4GHz RAM, Canopus ADHV-300

Posted on Apr 7, 2010 12:45 PM

3 replies

May 1, 2010 10:11 AM in response to DHD47

I had exactly the same problem, using the same setup. After talking to several professionals, the consensus I got is that it's a software issue that cannot be adjusted in iTunes. Earlier versions were not so sensitive, but the recent ones do this. It's worse with old tapes. I finally had to take my tapes to a duplication house that copied them onto miniDV (the camera I have now). This allowed me to import them easily, and was cheaper than having the house convert them to iMovie files--they were going to have to do the same babysitting that you are doing. Sorry--if anyone has better info I'd like to hear it, but I wrangled with this problem for several months.

Premature halting of tape import

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.