Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yellowish screen only on left side of iPad

Has anyone else noticed that the screen is a bit more yellowish on the left side of the screen? It is most apparent when the screen is white. There has to be someone else out there with the same problem, right? So, my question is, how do I fix it? Should i even take it into an apple store? I fear I will be without an iPad for a long time if I do.

21.5 iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.3), iPhone 3GS, iPad, 15 MBP

Posted on Apr 8, 2010 12:55 AM

35 replies

Apr 19, 2010 1:54 PM in response to Dakduel

You have got to take it in! I would do it ASAP before they can claim that you dropped it or that its out of warranty because they detect water damage (happened to me on an iPhone just from sweat - yeah i know thats really gross).

I bet they have a reserve of replacement models right there in the store so you will get a new one right away. I could be wrong of course, but whats the risk? You can always just to decide to hold onto yours if they say its going to take 2 weeks.

Apr 20, 2010 4:05 PM in response to Dakduel

Ok, so i took it in to apple today, the genius had a little bit of a hard time at first noticing it due to all the glare on the screen, but after a while he saw it. they gave me a new one and it looked great in the store. Before i left i took a look at some of the ipads that they have on display and noticed that they all seem to be a bit whiter on the right side, sort of as if it the screen was being illuminated through that left side even though they are LED backlit. once i brought my new ipad home i brought it into my room and turned the lights off and noticed that it had the same screen issues as the ones in the store. The new ipad is better than my old ipad that i went to return, however, my new gripe is that the ipad seems to be brighter and whiter on about the first half inch of the right side (or your left side if you are looking straight at the screen). Maybe i just need to get my eyes checked.

Apr 21, 2010 2:42 AM in response to Dakduel

No, I'm pretty sure it's not your eyes. I have had this issue with a number of Apple products already and it's quite annoying. I've had it on a Powerbook, my iPhone (I went through a lot of returning it, getting displays replaced, and getting the whole phone replaced a couple times for it), and now I have it on the iPad as well. About half the screen looks yellow and the other is white. I'm taking it back to the Apple store sometime soon, so I'll let you know what happens. I'm just hoping that not all of the products are affected, and only a small minority actually notice it. Not many people I've shown seem to notice it like I do.

Apr 21, 2010 5:22 PM in response to Dakduel

So I went into the Apple store earlier today, and checked their display models. Every single iPad there had the issue that I was talking about here. It's slightly off-white to the right of the home button on every iPad I have seen. I even checked someone else's at a coffee shop and his had it too. So I didn't bother to really do anything other than have Apple document my issue. I'll wait a good while before I revisit this issue, and maybe it's just a lot of bad LCD panels or something.

Apr 22, 2010 11:47 AM in response to Dakduel

Yeah, no kidding. I pointed it out to a couple of other people with iPads and now they hate me for it because they didn't see it until I pointed it out haha. I'm thinking give it some time, I doubt it's an actual design flaw. At least I hope not! I'll check back with the Apple store in a few weeks or a couple of months or however long I can put up with it.

Apr 22, 2010 12:22 PM in response to Dakduel

UPDATE:

I had the same problems with yellow cast on the right-hand side of the screen with the left being noticeably brighter and bluer. I spoke to Apple and they shipped me a replacement because I told them I found it distracting and would have to return it otherwise (I had initiated contact on the issue on day 14). I was sent a replacement and I'm pleased to say the new screen is much better, much more uniform brightness and tint. Holding the two units side by side for comparison it was easy to see the difference in the two screens. I almost didn't bother to return the first one because I noticed similar issues with the store demos, but now I'm glad I did because I can actually read PDFs without distraction. Good luck and kudos to Apple for taking care of their customers after the sale.

As a side note, I was told by my local store there is some flexibility in the 14-day return rule for the iPad because it's a brand new product and Apple wants to support early adopters.

Yellowish screen only on left side of iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.