Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Web browsers for Mac Snow Leopard

This weekend I upgrade to Snow Loepard and then version 10.6.3. I now experience high cpu usage (and slowness)with Safari. An Apple rep told me there have been reports of this issue, but no resolution.

As a result I need to use a different web browser. I have tried Chrome (Java apps don't work at all) and FireFox (crashes every time). What other suggestions do people have that I can use as a web browser?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 2.2hz 4GB, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Apr 8, 2010 7:21 AM

2 replies

Apr 8, 2010 7:42 AM in response to ejg999

Have you "reset Safari" from the Safari Menu?

Also try Safe Mode (It will take more time to startup in Safe Mode because it runs a directory check.)

If your apps function correctly that way, go to System Preferences >> Accounts >> Login Items, and remove them. Boot normally and test. If not go to Users/(yourname)/Library /Contextual Menu Items and move whatever is there to the desktop. Then do the same with /Library/ Contextual Menu Items. Lastly, try moving ~(yourHome)/Library/ Fonts to your desktop and restarting.
EDIT: In the case of Safari look in Users/yourhome/Library/Internet Plug-in items and
/Library/Internet Plug-in items.

Log out/in or restart, if that sorts it start putting items back one at a time until you find the culprit.

User uploaded file
-mj

Message was edited by: macjack

Apr 8, 2010 10:18 AM in response to ejg999

Not technical. Try Camino and Opera. The latter is a combined browser/email client. The interface is different but can be easily got used to. I find browsers develop hitches that clear with a later version or without. Since I want to have the use 'now', I always have about four around.
You should though follow the other advice and try to find what is wrong with your Safari.

Web browsers for Mac Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.