Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm selling my iPad—How to I wipe it clean

I love my 32GB iPad, but decided I'd rather have the 3G model, so I'm selling it to a friend. Is there an easy way to restore it to its original, clean, state? When I bought it at the Apple store, the sales guy plugged it into his mac and "registered" it. Will the new owner need to re-register it? And how does the warrantee transfer over?

2 GHz Intel Mac Mini, MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 8, 2010 4:09 PM

19 replies

Apr 10, 2010 6:22 AM in response to Stuart Field

As stated, wipe data using the path given to the "erase all content and settings" then nothing will be stored on iPad that you put on...no sign in data no iTunes account info...it wipes back to factory settings like when you bought it... The warranty transfers to the friend you give it to...when or if they ever need service, the serial number shows the warranty period even if sold to someone else... If you have purchased Apple Care...you will want to call them and give your friends info so that if he ever needs service the email address and shipping info is his not yours anymore

Apr 10, 2010 5:21 PM in response to Dah•veed

David.Austin.Allen wrote:
The return period for Apple is usually only 14 days. There is a restocking fee for opened product because it can no longer be sold as new product, so it will become fodder for the refurbished supply chain.

Dah•veed

+For eligible Mac, iPad, iPod, and third-party products, you have up to 14 calendar days from the time you receive your item(s) to initiate a return. Personalized iPods (e.g., engraved or customized in any way) may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless such product is Dead on Arrival (see the section below for more detailed information on such Dead on Arrival products). If the item is returnable and you send it back to us unopened in the original box, Apple will offer you a refund based on your original method of payment. You must return the product to the Apple warehouse within 14 calendar days of the issuance of the RMA. All products must be packed in the original, unmarked packaging including any accessories, manuals, documentation, and registration that shipped with the product. Apple will assess a 10% restocking fee on any opened hardware or accessory. If you purchased your order using an Apple Business Lease, Apple may ask you to provide a major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) so Apple can assess the 10% restocking fee.+

Only 14 days and 10% restocking after that.

Apr 10, 2010 6:51 PM in response to Stuart Field

In looking over the discussions, most users say that the warrantee is transferable to a new owner. But the actual iPad warrantee states, "Apple ... warrants this Apple-branded hardware product against defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of retail purchase by the original end-user purchaser." Note the reference to the original purchaser.

This is probably moot in my case, because I sold it to a good friend and I'd be happy to take it in for warrantee service if necessary.

I'm selling my iPad—How to I wipe it clean

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.