Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Word for Mac and page break shortcut

This may be really simple but what is the keystroke shortcut to insert a page break?
When I look at the customize keyboard section it says the keystroke is Shift+Enter but when I do that it just inserts a 'return' not a page break.
Any idea what I am doing wrong?
thanks

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Apr 8, 2010 4:16 PM

6 replies

Apr 8, 2010 7:37 PM in response to Arnie C

From memory the reason for this is that Word differentiates between the "return" key and the "enter" key (found only on the extended keyboard, and not on the notebook one), so "shift return" ≠ "shift enter". ("shift return" , instead, actually provides a 'soft" carriage return, rather than a paragraph break)

I set mine up (using the "Tools / Customise Keyboard" command in Word 2007) to use "Shift control return" instead for the page break, which doesn't seem to conflict with anything else and I find easy enough to remember.

Cheers

Rod

Apr 12, 2010 2:20 AM in response to Rod Hagen

Rod Hagen wrote:
From memory the reason for this is that Word differentiates between the "return" key and the "enter" key (found only on the extended keyboard, and not on the notebook one), so "shift return" ≠ "shift enter"

It isn't just Word, a lot of apps do this. I actually prefer apps that differentiate, because it means, for instance, that it's possible in a dialog box to enter text with a Return line break and not close the dialog box (instead you use Enter as the OK button equivalent).

(found only on the extended keyboard, and not on the notebook one), so "shift return" ≠ "shift enter"

All Mac notebooks have the Enter key. On earlier ones, there used to be a dedicated Enter key next to the spacebar. On newer ones, you have to press Fn+Return. This is why Enter is printed above the Return key, to let you know it's a Fn combo shortcut.

Apr 12, 2010 2:52 AM in response to Network 23

Network 23 wrote:
All Mac notebooks have the Enter key. On earlier ones, there used to be a dedicated Enter key next to the spacebar. On newer ones, you have to press Fn+Return. This is why Enter is printed above the Return key, to let you know it's a Fn combo shortcut.

Quite right Network 23.

I'd completely forgotten about Fn+Return as Enter. Shift FnReturn, in fact, even works with the default page break option in MS Word.

Not sure about the logic of locating 'enter" at the top of the key, though. The default action when the Fn key is depressed is shown in the lower right corner of the function keys themselves on current MBps and keypad-less keyboards, rather than above, which is more commonly used as an indication that the shift key is the relevant modifier to achieve the "other" result!

And why don't they put a small "forward delete" symbol in the same location on the delete key if following this reasoning! 😉

Cheers

Rod

Apr 12, 2010 2:53 AM in response to Rod Hagen

Rod Hagen wrote:
Shift FnReturn, in fact, even works with the default page break option in MS Word.

Yup, that's why I mentioned it...no need to alter the Word shortcut unless you'd like it to be simpler than those three keys.

I was also incomplete in saying "Mac notebooks" as the Fn shortcut is also needed with the Apple non-extended desktop keyboard such as the one that comes by default with iMacs, and the Bluetooth keyboard.

Word for Mac and page break shortcut

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.